Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy with whine when rolling

I have a 99 Legacy with 5sp, 176k miles. When rolling down the road there is a whine coming from the front of the car. I can't tell if it is wheel bearings, transmission, or what? If I put it in neutral and coast, the whine is still there. When I turn to the right there is additional whining noise whether under power or coasting.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Ways to trouble shoot?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Which does it change with....engine speed or vehicle speed?

If vehicle speed, I'd probably lean towards wheel bearing. I'd suggest jacking the car up and try wiggling the wheel and other components to see if they feel loose.

Not sure I understand your question on engine or vehical speed? This does not happen when the car is not moving. It does slow if I am in neutral or gear and apply the brakes.

Is there anything inside the tranny that could do this? Would the tranny make a noise like this if not in gear?

Not sure I understand your question on engine or vehical speed? This does not happen when the car is not moving. It does slow if I am in neutral or gear and apply the brakes.

Is there anything inside the tranny that could do this? Would the tranny make a noise like this if not in gear?

Does it change with a change in engine RPM or with the speed of the car.

Check your differential/transmission lubricant ASAP first. Does it increase in volume with the speed? Is it a whine or a roar?

nipper

Does it change with a change in engine RPM or with the speed of the car.

Check your differential/transmission lubricant ASAP first. Does it increase in volume with the speed? Is it a whine or a roar?

nipper

The rear lube was changed in the last month with castrol 75w 90 full synthetic gear lube. up to level

The trans fluid was changed last weekend with castrol hypo c gear oil 80w 90. up to level

All of the following symptoms were there before the lube changes above.

First thing, I am pretty sure I need to replace he center dif. Because it binds when warm and turn in to parking place. not sure if this is causing any of the noise.

Second thing, I would call it a whine, and it does change when the speed changes. whether in neutral or in gear, under power or braking. This noise gets louder when it gets hotter.

Third thing, is more like a roar when making a slight turn to the right. turning to the left the roar is gone. I can actually feel the roar in the steering wheel. This also seems to get louder when it get hotter.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mike

i second that.

On the torque bind, do all your tires match? They have too otherwise any repair you do is doomed.

Tires are all 205/55/16 fresh Dunlop Sport Maxx. 36psi front 35psi rear.

Tires have been the same all around for the last 80,000 miles.

OK glad to hear you second the wheel bearing. I have an appointment to take to the dealer on Monday. For center diff and check wheel bearings. If I get good work done it will be a first at a Subaru dealer. I will be posting the details when I get the car back.

Thanks again guys!

Mike