Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I changed the tranny fluid and its spin on filter today; Sadly ,I over looked a metal washer when re-filling.:rolleyes: It might be the one for the drain plug, or perhaps there is one on the filter .

I hate to change it again, this was the 3rd time- for thorough job.

How critilcal is this washer? Beyond the obvious potential leak, anything else I should know.

Could it wait until fall?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

John

I'd run the plug out cold,stick my finger in the hole and put the washer on and run it back in..you won't lose more than 1/4 quart if you aint afraid to get in there and get your hands dirty!

Don't be tentative.

Trust me, after three changes, I am the king of dirty. I might give it a shot.

Trust me, after three changes, I am the king of dirty. I might give it a shot.

I think there are a few on here that hold the throne before you are in line, lol.

But consider this, without the metal ring you run the risk of loosing *maybe* a quart of fluid untill fall if it does leak. And you run the risk of lossing *maybe* a quart depending on how fast you are with your hands. I've replaced the metal rings on the oil plug because of the same reason without loosing any more than 1/4 of a quart. At least if you take the time to put it on now, you can account for the lost fluid now, and not have to be continually worried about if you have a leak and how bad, and adding more fluid over the next few months.

Another option, if you don't want to attempt to pull the plug, is shoot the plug and the area right around it with brake cleaner. Get it clean. Then just smear some permatex ultra grey or something where the plug meets the pan. Not a lot, just enough to seal it. That should hold it until you pull the plug again.