Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all,

I recently bought an '06 Outback XT LTD with the OEM Navi installed. The Navi has one downside that gets to me. It won't let you program destinations while the car is moving. Now, I know this is a safety feature, but what a PITA!!! It's just not practical while on the road to pull over every time you want to program something in. Does anyone know of any way to get around this and disable this feature? I've been reading a thread on legacygt.com about this, but they haven't come up with anything yet.

The same is true for my wife's Lexus, while the car is in motion you can not program another destination. I drive an 07 OBW LTD without navigation, and recently purchased a portable Garmin nav unit. Because it is portable, can be removed from the car, and can even be used while walking (has an 8 hour battery backup), it can be programmed while moving. But I would have the passenger do the programming while on the road, since even the slightest driver distraction can have terrible consequences. Its not worth taking the chance to save some time, and then possibly paying for it for the rest of your life.

That's odd. Our Volvo XC90 has a remote control that even a rear seat passenger can use to program the NAV. Also, there is a set of controls on the sterring wheel for programming it. One difference though, the Volvo NAV system's screen rises up, out of the top of the dashboard, so it's high up and very close to your natural field of view.

Jack

They need to put a set of controls out of reach of the driver, so at least the passenger can enter stuff... I wonder if it's linked to the speed signal.. Does it work if the car is stopped, but in drive? I discovered on hackaday.com how to put an OnStar box into NMEA mode and plug it into a laptop to get the GPS signal :-P I bet it won't be much longer before there is a navigation hack for this...

They need to put a set of controls out of reach of the driver, so at least the passenger can enter stuff... I wonder if it's linked to the speed signal.. Does it work if the car is stopped, but in drive? I discovered on hackaday.com how to put an OnStar box into NMEA mode and plug it into a laptop to get the GPS signal :-P I bet it won't be much longer before there is a navigation hack for this...

of course its hoooked up to the speed signal. In car units are wired into the vss system so they can do some dead reconing when they use the satalite, along with the wheel angle sensor.

put the car in drive with the wheels chocked and no foot on the brake. This will tell us if it is wired into the NSS or not. Try to fiddle with it then.

nipper

• 2 weeks later...