Ultimate Subaru Message Board

re: 91 loyale no start

I'm still trying to start this pos and it wont run right. It will start right up now that I replaced the ecu but immediately shuts off like it's running out of fuel. I tried plugging in the green connectors with the key on and get nothing, but when I turn the key to the on position I can hear it prime itself but doesn't pulsate. If I play with the throttle, I can keep it running and once it warms up it will continue running but at an extremely high rpm. Any more ideas?

B.:mad:

examine the MAF plug connection

I have seen where some so called mechanics

do not disconnect the MAF to change the air filter panel

result can be the small wires connecting the MAF connector

breaking at the connector.

I tried plugging in the green connectors with the key on and get nothing, but when I turn the key to the on position I can hear it prime itself but doesn't pulsate.

It just comes on and stays on? or does it cycle on/off in time with the blinking of the CEL light? Does the CEL even light up with the key in On? If the pump is on continuiosly the FSM say to check the Fuel pump system.

I haven't checked the TPS yet, I tried to start it today and the fuel pump didn't even come on. I ran wires from fuel pump to battery and she fired right up and died. Tried a second time and got the same thing, Third time and she acts like she's flooded.....(no start) When I plug in the green connectors it doesn't do anything. I can hear a solenoid clicking under the hood about once every second and a half? No fuel pump noise and no light. I have already checked the MAF with a meter and got correct values on everything. I'm stumped. It acted like this before, and when I changed out the ECU the fuel pump would prime itself when I turn the key on. Now it's not. The only thing I've done is tried to jump start it with a battery charger set on 55 amps. Could this fry the ECU? The old ECU seemed to work right, until I tried to jump it with a booster pack.

Thanks

B.

When I plug in the green connectors it doesn't do anything. I can hear a solenoid clicking under the hood about once every second and a half? No fuel pump noise and no light. Thanks

B.

If you're CEL light is not coming on and off in time with that clicking Then there is a problem. It may be an indicator of a bad ECU. Does the CEL light come on with the key in on/eng. off WITHOUT the test connectors plugged in? It should. If it doesn't, pull the panel and check the bulb. If the bulb looks good then check the wire for voltage with key on/ eng. off. No voltage there is a problem.

If that all works but the CEL still doesn't appear in d-check(greens connected) then there is a problem. If you can hear the relay, but the pump doesn't run Check for votage at the pump. If no voltage there then test the relay. It may be clicking but not actually passing current through to the Pump.

You may have damaged the ECU using the high current charger. Voltage spikes from the charger may have damaged it. It sounds to me that the ECU is shutting the injectors and the fuel pump off because it isn't seeing ignition pulses from the disty. Though the ignition is working obviously. This should cause a error code but I'm not sure if the ECU light is working as it should be. Does the light turn on when you turn on the ignition switch?