Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can anyone give me step-by-step onfo for doing a Timing belt's and oil pump on EA82?

Can anyone give me step-by-step info for doing the Timing belt's and oil pump job for the EA82 loyale motor with AC? I would really apricate it!:grin: I've got the Chilton book too but there not to clear! You know!

Thank's, Tom:headbang:

Hey that's a nice job on the page miles. But I will add that one should clean the threads of the oil pump bolt holes gently with a tap. M6 x1.00 Clean the bolts well, and tighten only to 16-19 ft/lbs of torque. If you don't have a torque wrench, basically a good snug, but shouldn't require any muscle. If you're ratchet handle is about a foot long, imagine it sticking out level, with a bowling ball pushing down on the end. That's how much force.

Hey that's a nice job on the page miles. But I will add that one should clean the threads of the oil pump bolt holes gently with a tap. M6 x1.00 Clean the bolts well, and tighten only to 16-19 ft/lbs of torque. If you don't have a torque wrench, basically a good snug, but shouldn't require any muscle. If you're ratchet handle is about a foot long, imagine it sticking out level, with a bowling ball pushing down on the end. That's how much force.

Ironic that you mentioned that...my brother was prepping his first EA82 yesterday, and snapped off two of the oil pump bolts. He couldn't understand why. He torqued them to specs, and that wasn't supposed to happen.

Replacing/upgrading the oil pump bolts with new ones is something to consider. Some people will change even stronger ones like cylinder head bolts without a second thought. I'll admit, I don't always replace them myself, but I've learned that bolts become weaker with each sucessive use. There is always a small risk re-using bolts, and as mentioned above, you should definitley take it easy on the torque.

And yes, Fox's write-up on timing belts is the best one I've seen on this topic.

good luck, John

Hey thanx for the head's up on the bolts, Do you think i could get them for Subaru or a Ace hardware store?

Anyhoo yeah Gloyale, Me and my dad have be thinking and after reading all the link's and printing'em out i'm pretty shoure we can do it!:rolleyes: I mean how hard can it be! Plus i've got #1 and #2 vol of the FSM's for the 1989 EA82 seires. So i still really aprishate the thought!

You'd really do that as a friend? You don't see to many people like that anymore. I guess that's the way Subaru people are.:)

Hey thanx for the head's up on the bolts, Do you think i could get them for Subaru or a Ace hardware store?

You'd really do that as a friend? You don't see to many people like that anymore. I guess that's the way Subaru people are.:)

Yeah you can get the bolts at a good hardware store. Thread size is m6x1.00

And as far as helping friends, It's what I do. Now there are times that I charge money to work on cars too. Most of the time I do, but not when it's a EA82 Suby and the owner just wants advice and assistance. If you drop off the car and say "fix it" I charge.

Hmmm.. For the FSMs. Do you mean you have both books? section 1,2,3 in one book. 4,5,6 in the other.

Or do you just have a downloaded copy of sect. 1 and 2?

1 = general info, pre delivery, vin info

2 = Engine

3 = Transmission

4 = suspension

5 = Body

6 = Electrical

For some years(86,87,88,90)there are 4 books, sect. 1, sect 2-3, sect. 4-5, and sect. 6

But for some crazy reason, 85 and 89 are a 2 book set. Sect. 1-3 and Sect 4-6

So I'm not sure how you have just section 1 and 2?

Can anyone give me step-by-step info for doing the Timing belt's and oil pump job for the EA82 loyale motor with AC? I would really apricate it!:grin: I've got the Chilton book too but there not to clear! You know!

Thank's, Tom:headbang:

Hey man, I live with the guy who wrote that timing belt article, actually I was there once when he did the labor you described, on the side of the road, at night, in the rain, with one flash light, and a pack of cigarettes lol.

But seriously, we live in Sun Prairie, Waukesha is only a 30 minute drive, if you need his help, I'm sure I can drag him out there. We've even got some crew out there...

Now that I think about it, Trashwagon 8's care taker could probably help you out.

Ironic that you mentioned that...

to be ironic i live within an hour of both these guys.

john i was thru CLEVELAND this last week on my way out to the BABE RALLY in my toyota camper. we brought back team "babe patrol" ea82 87 gl wgon front wheel 5spd. Those guys were from columbus and picked up their car in new hampsire. we brought it back with us as they were flying back.

babe07%20144.jpg

desmond jones has the car and he is in waukesha. i have the day off and a full tank of gas.

i also have a pile of subarus in sun praire, the 87 rx, 88 4wd converted sedan, and 87 gl10 turbo wagon with the rx's diveline. i have parts take them away from me!

this guy (Nug)went i met im in butler indiana wen we got together for some baja'n and he was there on the babe rally.

babe07%20129.jpg

last year i went in the trashwagon replica nd it blew up in the mountains of virgina. we sold it the other day to a guy in illinois from pennsylvania

babe07%20012.jpg

threads are 1.25 its a tricky thread to find so once you source one keep your business there.

other bolts are m8x1.25 and m10x1.25

the only other bolts are the flywheep bolts at m10x1.50 and the pressure plate bolts m8x1.0

Yeah you can get the bolts at a good hardware store. Thread size is m6x1.00

And as far as helping friends, It's what I do. Now there are times that I charge money to work on cars too. Most of the time I do, but not when it's a EA82 Suby and the owner just wants advice and assistance. If you drop off the car and say "fix it" I charge.

Hmmm.. For the FSMs. Do you mean you have both books? section 1,2,3 in one book. 4,5,6 in the other.

Or do you just have a downloaded copy of sect. 1 and 2?

2 = Engine

3 = Transmission

4 = suspension

5 = Body

6 = Electrical

For some years(86,87,88,90)there are 4 books, sect. 1, sect 2-3, sect. 4-5, and sect. 6

But for some crazy reason, 85 and 89 are a 2 book set. Sect. 1-3 and Sect 4-6

So I'm not sure how you have just section 1 and 2?

threads are 1.25 its a tricky thread to find so once you source one keep your business there.

There are 3 pitches common for Metric fasteners. It's not just Course and fine, it's Course, Fine, and Finer. Or M whatever X 1.5, 1.25, and 1.00

The oil pump and water pump bolts are M6 x 1.00 not 1.25. I am positive on this. If you tap it with a 1.25 tap it will F!#* it up. I just went out and ran a tap into the demo block and it is for sure 100% an M6 x 1.00.

It's werd, I never see any other old Roo, Like GL-10, Loyale, RX and so on! And as for the FSM's i'v got, I downloaded them thru an E-mail from "2.7 Loyale turbo" he only sent me

2 = Engine

So i don't know? I would like to get some of the other one's like

4 = suspension

5 = Body

Will the 89 books still be the same as a 92 Loyale? I know there's small difrentsis but mostly the same right?

And as for the help i really like the thought, But my dad doesent want any i don't know why? I mean you help get the job done and you meet some new people! Maybe he doesent understand the Subaru life? I would really like to come to a meet sometime

once i get my licence!

Are there any close to lower Wis? Like Waukesha, Racine, and so on?

Later, Tom..........:headbang:

Will the 89 books still be the same as a 92 Loyale? I know there's small difrentsis but mostly the same right?

Are there any close to lower Wis? Like Waukesha, Racine, and so on?

99% of the info from the 89 book will be the same for your 92 Loyale. I have a 90 FSM for Loyale but that's the newest I've got.

Like I said, I'm in Kenosha, which is just south of Racine. If you're in Waukesha it's only about a 40 min drive or less.