Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Going to look at another Subie Wed. Night

White 4 Door Sporty Subaru 1999 Legacy L Sedan

163,500 miles

runs Ok, but may need some work

fair condition, clean interior

it will need a new wind shield

and front brakes

That's the ad price is $1250 and he said it was very negotiable without me asking.

He said he replaced the timing belt twice so far he believes and he has paperwork for all the work. So if I can get the car for $500-750 and I am willing to put another $500 into it think I can make this work? How much longer will this car last realistically.

Anything particular I should be looking for, how would I tell if the headgasket is blown?? Thanks as always, Jay.

a lot of the 99's are DOHC and prone to HG issues

check the coolant for a milky substance

drive the car, study the temp gauge, esp. at idle

if the party really want to sell

they'll probably allow you to take it somewhere for a once over

and that's not a bad idea

as a hg repair will cost you 3x as much as you're looking to buy this car for.

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png

If there is a HG problem with the car, it might have bubbles in the overflow tank. It might not overheat yet, but the bubbles are the beginning for sure. It might also have black gunk floating within or on the surface of the overflow tank. If it has overheated numberous times, then you might have warped heads.

Torque Bind is another conern. Take it to a parking lot and drive in figure 8's slow and if there is a shudder or it feels like resistance from any of the wheels, then that is a bit of a major deal. Research both on this forum and you will get the idea.

A good way to make sure that you come out OK is to appraise the car with Edmunds, Kelley and then your local market, subtract a HG job and any other work that is needed and that is what I would pay for the car.

Good luck. I have fixed three of these and had no repeat offenders so far.

:headbang:

White 4 Door Sporty Subaru 1999 Legacy L Sedan

That has an ej22... No HG issues with that motor unless its been abused.

Also torque bind is more prevelant in the gen1 legacy, my mom's 98 has almost 180k on it with never a problem from the trans.

And NO repair should cost 3X what you are paying for the car, unless you take it so a shop and they stick it to you hardcore.

That has an ej22... No HG issues with that motor unless its been abused.

Also torque bind is more prevelant in the gen1 legacy, my mom's 98 has almost 180k on it with never a problem from the trans.

And NO repair should cost 3X what you are paying for the car, unless you take it so a shop and they stick it to you hardcore.

ya!!! ^^^^