Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been living with a wonky air suspension for a couple years because money has been tight and I keep finding ways to fix it. However it's acting up again and I think since the weather is nice I should change it now before I end up doing it in the driveway in the winter.

I was thinking of Whiteline springs from here....

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/subaru_corner.html

For $320.

Then I found these for less...

http://www.boxer4racing.com/

$249 for Eibach or H&R Sport.

Anyone have experience with any of them?

Depends on what you're looking for. Those springs appear to be lowering springs, which is fine if you want a little lower ride. Whatever springs you get, make sure the top diameter is the same as what you have now, or get the upper spring seats for the springs you get. Some non-US Subaru's have different springs, so if you get something from Australia for example (i.e. Whiteline) they may be spec'd for the Australian version. The pdm-racing site appears to have notes about this in their spring selection guide.

Depends on what you're looking for. Those springs appear to be lowering springs, which is fine if you want a little lower ride. Whatever springs you get, make sure the top diameter is the same as what you have now, or get the upper spring seats for the springs you get. Some non-US Subaru's have different springs, so if you get something from Australia for example (i.e. Whiteline) they may be spec'd for the Australian version. The pdm-racing site appears to have notes about this in their spring selection guide.

No problem with the top diameter as I have no springs right now.... air suspension. I'll have to buy strut mounts, struts and all the assorted nuts and bolts in order to assemble the struts

(i.e. this picture.... http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=2153

I like the idea of lowering it a little (inch or so but not "slammed"). Since I will be replacing the entire suspension, might as well see if I can improve the handling to better then new.

Oh ok cool. I've never seen the air suspension. I thought it was just air bags inside the springs like you see on pickup trucks sometimes. Anyway, AFIAK if you get the smaller diameter top springs, get impreza/forester upper spring seats. Otherwise get legacy/outback upper springs seats.

I just used some king/scoprion lift springs with GR-2's on '00obw and whiteline endlinks. Seems to work very well. Handling is much improved over what it was. It is about a 1.5" lift, though I haven't ever driven any sporty good handling vehicles so I probably don't know what I'm missing. It is noticeably stiffer than before and you feel the road more but that's the way I like it. You must become one with the road luke....

The springs with a smaller upper diameter are for 90-91 Legacies. Stick with the newer stuff.

My wagon is a 91. However since I am replacing everything, I don't see any reason why I can't use the newer (and easier to find) parts.

yeah, the 92-94 Legacy rear tops and upper spring seats are the same as those on a 93-01 Impreza. Make sure you also get 92-94 (or 93-01 Impreza) struts because the 90-91s have the lower spring perches welded on at different heights (front and rear). All the front tops are the same, so just make sure you get the upper front perches that match the springs.