Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey,

Ok I have been having some problems with the Sube lately, 96 impreza outback, ej22, stick, 150k. So the cel has been on and is blinking once in a while, which I think means the problem is currently happening, so I take it to autozone to have them read the code. Here is what they come up with

Troubleshooting P0303

Definition

Cylinder misfier detected-cylinder number 3

Explanation

The powertrain control module monitors the crankshaft speed and has detected a misfire condition.

Probable Causes

1. Ignition system fault-spark plugs,ignition wires, coil

2. Vacuum leak

3. Injector fault

4. High or low fuel pressure

The plugs were replaced last summer with ngk iridiums, the wireset was replaced about 3 months ago with a set from autozone, the coil has never been replaced as far as I know.

So I put some seafoam in the gas tank and filled it up in case it is a clogged injector which I highly doubt. I had this problem once before replaced the wireset and it went away til now.

Ok, what should I do?

Obviously, fuel delivery problems could be the cause of the misfire, as can problems at the particular cylinder, but ignition faults are often the cause and therefore the first thing to check.

Since the part of the coil pack that fires cylinder #3 also fires #4, but you aren't reporting P0304, it's likely that the coil is okay. Since Subarus are fussy about ignition wires, we usually suggest that only OEM ones be used. You could check if there's any high-voltage leakage; spray down the ignition wires with a water mist, and see if the misfire becomes more obvious. If you do this when it's dark, you can look for sparks; any you see indicate a problem, since a good ignition system can withstand the water. Also, make sure that the connections at the plugs and coil are fully seated and making good contact. Or, just change the plug wires to originals.

Of course, just because the plugs were changed "last summer" doesn't mean that they're out of condideration. However, if the mileage has been fairly low since then, they're probably okay; I'd concentrate on the plug wires first.

lubricate the boots with whatever commes with the wires. if nothing then use a specified lubricant.

Change the plugs too while your at it, your due, these are the simple things. Next to look at is the coil towers. They crack when they age (normal) and is a comon reason for this fault, especially in damp weather.

nipper

Subaru's can be finicky with the plug wires. They often want their own OEM wires. Also look at the coil pack connections where they connect to the plug wires.

Silicone dielectric grease is what to put in the boots. It insulates and helps prevent moisture from getting in the connection and can prevent corona discharge.

The flashing CEL means it's something that could cause engine damage in a short period and should be given immediate attention.

Also, right after the fuel filter is changed, you can get misfire codes.

Hi. Before replacing the plugs I would check the other items listed. If the plugs look in good shape and coil pack checks I would put that money into an OEM wire set before plugs. The NGK iridiums you bought should last quite a while unless they got fouled or cracked for some reason.

In order of increasing price: The V-Power BKR6E-11 is an OEM part in this application.

1996 SUBARU IMPREZA L 2.2 H4 EJ22E FI

Spark Plug Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap Photo Standard BKR6ES-11 5553 .044  V-Power BKR6E-11 # 2756 .044  G-Power BKR6EGP 7092 .044  Laser Platinum PFR6B-11 * 4014 .044  OE Laser Iridium IFR6E11 ^ 6741 .044  Iridium IX BKR6EIX-11 3764 .044 

edit: Oh for manuals you can sometimes find used ones cheap on eBay. New OEM is about $21 online. my.subaru.com will let you download the owner manual free after you register, but I don't know if they have the '96 manuals on there....

Ok well I changed the wireset and the problem stopped, today we replaced the spark plugs with NGK V-Power copper core plugs, it runs a little better after the new plugs. 1 plug I am assuming cylinder #3(see 1st post) was burned a little, had some blackness on the white part of the plug as well as the tip, the other 3 where a good bit better looking.

The CEL is still on, will it go off in a few days or will I have to have someone turn it off with an OBDII unit??

Thanks for all the help folks, I will be back with some more questions shortly, I have axle problems with my 93 legacy L, but that's for another day. Jay.

CEL went off today and has stayed off. :)