Ultimate Subaru Message Board

crossover problem

I put new heads on my 88, ea82t wagon, but I forgot to put the crossover up in the engine compartment before putting the right head on. Now, I can't get the crossover to fit between the head and the frame of the car. Augggg!!:eek: I don't want to pull the right head again so, can I loosen the front motor mounts and jack up the front of the motor, without disonnecting the tranny, or what can I do? :confused: Thanks, in advance, for all of your advice. I owe you all of you guys a :drunk:

~ Myles ~

Yeah, loosen the engine mounts and detach the pitch stopper. Then jack it up. It may have to go pretty high, so you may need to get aggressive with trying to get in.

Thanks, Turbone, I'll get on it. I can't believe, I did that and I don't want to pull it all apart again. :banghead: For some reason, this is being a real pita. Everything is going wrong. Maybe someone's trying to tell me, that I'm getting too old for this crap, but ya know, I don't think I'll ever like the newer cars, as much as I love the older ones. :rolleyes: Wish me luck.

:headbang: ~ Myles ~

i simply bought the highest lift jack i could find (23" for 59$ at sears) and flipped the manifold upside down, but i also cut some of the heat shielding off but i had to get the front wheels about 8 inches off of the ground to have enough clearence to get it in.........

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I'm trying to jack up the motor, after I took off the 14mm engine mount bolts (1 on each side) and the top support engine/transmission rod, I started jacking up the engine and after raising about an inch, the car started to raise with it. I lowered it and now the bottom of the engine, no longer fits flat against the motor mounts.:eek: what the he?? did I do wrong NOW!:mad: :mad: Please help the retarded!:confused: :confused: :confused: I'm sure there's a blessing in it for you.:rolleyes: It's raining again tomorrow, so I'd like to get it on tonite, before anything else can go wrong. Thanks for all your help.

Okay, so here's the deal, I tried to disconnect from the motor instead of the frame. I guess there are two bolts on the engine, though I can only see one, and one on the frame. I think I have the motor mount straightened out, if not I'll replace it later. This should have been an easier job, though it is a 1st for me. But I've been in the everything in my life keeps going wrong and interfereing with the task at hand, mode. When I started this thread last weekend, I planned to get right on it, but NOOOO! My hotwater heater blew out, flooded the bathroom and I spent my Sube time as a plumber. :eek: But the good news is, along with learning a lot about my sube, I'm remodeling my house :lol:. Sometimes life is too ridiculous to take seriously. :headbang: ~ Myles ~

Thanks for putting up with my rantings...

Theres two nuts holding the engine mounts to the cross member. Those are the ones you need to remove. The whole works lift up and the tranny might be hitting the tunnel. Your trying to get a pretzel to fit in between the engine and cross member, its a challenge for sure.

Theres two nuts holding the engine mounts to the cross member. Those are the ones you need to remove. The whole works lift up and the tranny might be hitting the tunnel. Your trying to get a pretzel to fit in between the engine and cross member, its a challenge for sure.

Ha! I did it :banana: :banana: :banana: . The pretzel's in! Once you loosen the right nuts, it falls right into place. :grin: (hmm nuts)

Thanks Turbone

~ Myles ~

Yeah, almost there. Wish I was. Still need to pull the rear end out of my Hatch, still need to finish the rebuild of my new EA81, and now have to buy new lifters or have these ones reground since the neighbors kid got into the garage and played with the old lifters, getting them all out of order. Plus, -somebody- took a rock to a perfectly nice wagon I wanted to build out.

Not to mention the nearly new 390 I was going to put into my 72 F100 got scrapped out by my ********************* former landlords, who seem to think anything not theirs is junk. Oh well, they're being sued by me and the county now-

I need to get some cash together so I can finish my trailer and go get a couple parts trucks about 50miles away with my worn-out local hauling truck, so I can build a replacement that can go beyond the local area.

My wife is due to have our first kid in the next couple weeks, but the kid is sitting the wrong way so it'll be a c-section unless the thing flips in the next week or so.

Nothing ever goes to plan.