Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how difficult is it to change out the alternator in this thing? is this something a newbie should attempt? how much time should i expect to spend versus having a pro do it? having a hard time resisting the temptation to tinker

zzz

how difficult is it to change out the alternator in this thing? is this something a newbie should attempt? how much time should i expect to spend versus having a pro do it? having a hard time resisting the temptation to tinker

zzz

I don’t know what the differences are between a 2000 and a 1995 Legacy (I’m assuming a 2.5L H4, not a 3.0 H6) but I replaced the alternator in my 1995 last month. The setup looks pretty similar in my 2002 WRX (without the extra plumbing of course).

It was a surprisingly simple and quick affair and I’m well known for being all thumbs. I used both a Haynes and Chilton manual. The Haynes manual was much more informative. The Chilton manual was pretty poor. I also used a marker to mark where the belt tensioner was set before I loosened it to make things a bit easier. I just used a metric socket wrench set. I think I only needed a 10mm and a 12mm or something like that. The toughest part was pulling out the plastic plug/connector from the alternator. The entire thing comes out after squeezing a plastic tab thing down. The manuals assume you already know this. I was really afraid I’d break it or the wire. The rebuilt Subie alternator with limited lifetime warranty was $158 after the exchange with the old one at Autozone. Ouch. If you had the time some of the USMB members have less expensive options. The “do-it-yourself” labor savings was really nice considering how simple the repair was.

The car runs great and with the money I saved I ended up replacing a 5-year-old battery 12-year-old battery cable plus a few other odds and ends.

P.S. My alternator was the original with over 150,000 miles. Are you sure your alternator needs to go? I recall there being an alternator recall for some “newer” Legacies. You might want to do a search on yours on cars.com or hopefully one of the Legacy gurus on this board will let you know.

This job is doable on '00 with a few tools. It is not much different at all from earlier models. It is pretty easy. You'll need 10mm, 12mm, and maybe 14mm sockets. The alt is a little heavy though.

Yes as mentioned definitely disconnect the battery + or - lead before you start this job.

Make a note of the position of the belt tensioner before loosening it, that way you can retighten to where it was before. Overtightening is bad.

It is cake to do. REMEMBER TO LOOSEN THE 12MM NUT ON THE FRONT OF THE A/C TENSIONER PULLEY BEFORE YOU START THE ADJUSTMENT BOLT!!!!!!!! All to often am I having people coming into the shop in need of the plastic ear or the whole tensioner due to the first time taking belts off.

easy. do it. that alternator should have lasted longer, did you have a battery fail? i've seen quite often batteries and alternators failing together...within 6 months to a year of each other on friends/family vehicles. i'd check your battery, consider replacing it, or check/replace the terminals, the jokers that bolt to the battery.

with good, clean connections and terminals, batteries will last a very long time and alternators will as well.