Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axle help?

Hi i was wondering how you can tell when the top of a axle has went bad? I think its called the doj? One of my front axles boot was off the top, i took it out and it seems ok but the grease looks all red like rust? Thanks for he help im a total novice at with it comes to subarus but im learin...-GwyNative

Bad inner joints (DOJ's) are usually accompanied by severe vibration as the grease is flung away and the joint will bind without lubrication. Proper CV grease (moly grease) is generally black or grey in color - this is due to the moly itself. No other colored grease is appropriate, and bearing grease is NOT the same stuff. Sounds like perhaps you have a joint that has had water intrusion and you are seeing the grease colored from the iron oxide (rust) mixed into it. I would dissasemble the joint, clean out all the grease, repack with moly, and put on a new quality boot. The cheap boots are thin and will fail rapidly so beware. Better to pay $20 for a decent boot than have to replace a $6 one in 5,000 miles.

GD

DOJ failure is mild to severe vibration during acceleration; vibration disappears instantly as you let off the gas. I have had it so bad that it felt like the transmission was about to fall out. Also, so slight that an experienced mechanic didn't feel it was problem. In both cases, replacing the axle eliminated the vibration.

A torn boot is almost always an indication of a bad joint. I've never found it economical to just replace the boot. For $20 I can get a good used, inspected (by me) axle at Pull a Part. I apparently have a good eye since I've installed over a dozen on various cars we've owned and they last almost as long as many rebuilt units I've bought.