Ultimate Subaru Message Board

push brake pedal, parking lights go on...

This is probably a stupid question, but is my Legacy telling me it thinks a bulb is out? I can't find anything wrong including all 4 center brake light bulbs.

When I touch the brake pedal the brake lights come on and all the parking lights come on as well. Please tell me what the car wants me to do...:confused:

yes but do all your parking lights in the back work. Bet you have one out.

nipper

Problem with that though is that the 90-94 Wagons have a two bulb system for the brake light - both of which come on with the parking lights are on. Pushing the brakes just makes them brighter.

Problem with that though is that the 90-94 Wagons have a two bulb system for the brake light - both of which come on with the parking lights are on. Pushing the brakes just makes them brighter.

nope

These are dual filament bulbs. One foilament is the parking light, the other is the brake light. It is not unusual for the fliament to fail in such a way that one filament shorts out against the other filament, giving the back feed that you see.

The only time the brake lights flow through the turn signal, is whaen its a single lense system. When you have a seperate turn signal (orange) it does not run through the turn signal. Parking lights never run through the turn signal.

nipper

Interesting to know, Nipper. I thought I pulled out a bulb and saw only one filament. Guess I was mistaken.

look at the base not the filament. If there is only one solder button then its one filament. If there are two then its two. Also look at the socket for one or two buttons.

WOuldnt be the first time somone put a single filament bulb in a dual filament socket.

look at the base not the filament. If there is only one solder button then its one filament. If there are two then its two. Also look at the socket for one or two buttons.

WOuldnt be the first time somone put a single filament bulb in a dual filament socket.

I just went out and examined my bulbs. All the brake light ones are dual filament. Guess I just wasn't paying attention the last time I looked at them (which was a long time ago).

Thanks Nipper!

That makes sense to me now. Also my wife asked me about the running lights when following me home in another car Saturday night. She said they "lit up" but I was too tired to figure it as a clue. I didn't give her enough credit and thought she was just saying they are lit up..."yes, dear". l'll have to check the bulbs tomorrow morning early and I betcha you're right about the crossed filaments.