Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help needed: 98 Outback w/95 2.2 swap

My cousin recently purchased this car: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74681

Today he calls to inform me that that the Outback died. He was running errands, everything in working order, until it suddenly starts running very rough. He pulls over and shuts it off immediately. He doesn't know much about cars, but checks the fluids and finds it about a quart low of oil. Puts that in and says that it will start but it shakes and makes a ton of noise, dying when it is put in gear. He's having it towed home.

I'm at work so can't go look/listen in person. Has this happened to any of you before? Any idea what it could be?

The CEL has been on intermittently since purchase, previous owner was supposed to send a EGR to clear that up.

Thanks again-

Brad

My cousin recently purchased this car: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74681

Today he calls to inform me that that the Outback died. He was running errands, everything in working order, until it suddenly starts running very rough. He pulls over and shuts it off immediately. He doesn't know much about cars, but checks the fluids and finds it about a quart low of oil. Puts that in and says that it will start but it shakes and makes a ton of noise, dying when it is put in gear. He's having it towed home.

I'm at work so can't go look/listen in person. Has this happened to any of you before? Any idea what it could be?

The CEL has been on intermittently since purchase, previous owner was supposed to send a EGR to clear that up.

Thanks again-

Brad

Any overheat, or didn't he notice? Does he know enough not to tow on 2 wheels?

No overheating reported.

He probably didn't know enough, but the tow company did. They are sending a flatbed.

Then it may not be serious. There was not a complete history in the link, from what I saw.

If they replace the headgaskets, the timing belt should have been checked out, but it may have slipped. Hard to say what else would make scary noises after a car has had major service.

If it had any oil on the dipstick, that's probably not the problem.

I thought slipped belt too, and told him to ask. He's having it towed to a garage, but I don't know if they have any Subaru experience.

What could cause it to skip timing?

Failed idler pulley, or failed tensioner.

Maybe dreaded keyway wear, but doubtful. The fact that it restarted at all indicates only a slip. Which is not good if DOHC, but possibly surviveable.

if the EGR is giving issues, i would check that. they "say" it doesn't or shouldn't cause problems. my 97 OBS shifts like crap with the EGR code im' having. i've replaced the valve and solenoid and it's still doing it. if his is an automatic i'd definitely look into the EGR components first, it definitely effects shifting at least. i'd have the codes checked and address those first. Advanced Auto Parts or Autozone and others will check the codes for free. shops charge $50-$75.

ignition stuff comes to mind as well. i would'nt be surprised to see a "cylinder misfire" code come up. the wires should be Subaru only, the only accetable alternative is Magnecor. these engines are unfortunately stubborn like that.

There must be more to the story than I'm reading.

Lots of stuff repl but no mention of

the idlers,

that is the mileage my 97 had when they went south.

The car in the link is a 96 I did not read where

the 2.2 swap took place? Was there an EJ25 in the 96

when you opted for the 4EAT?

"Help needed: 98 Outback w/95 2.2 swap"

Color me corn-fused

I've had good luck with the ngk plug wires from advance auto on the SS.
good point, i'm not saying they won't work or that they fail every single time...but after working on dozens of engines and different vehicles, the aftermarkets tend to cause problems on EJ motors where the Subaru's (or magnecors) are 100% successful. i've seen brand new, off the shelf, wires cause Check Engine lights and "cylinder misfire XXX" codes. and it's common to see it on here as well, you can do a search to find similar examples. they will work most of the time, but others will work every single time. to each his own on risk, time management, etc.

Skip-

I think I may be the confused one, and I posted bad info.

The PO had 2 outbacks, one of which he sold my cousin. I looked through his old posts looking for clues to the problem before posting this thread. I read all his posts, and then posted the question as worded.

Now, going back to the link I posted above, I see I F'ed up. This is the 96 with the 2.5, NOT the 98 with the 2.2 swap.

The garage he took it to started it on while still on the flatbed and told him it was toast. He had it towed home. How can I verify that is indeed beyond hope? My cousin (like most of us) doesn't have much money, and I don't have a lot of free time to help.

If it comes down to it, where is a good place to find a used motor in the Chicago area?

Sorry for the confusion.

-Bard

There must be more to the story than I'm reading.

Lots of stuff repl but no mention of

the idlers,

that is the mileage my 97 had when they went south.

The car in the link is a 96 I did not read where

the 2.2 swap took place? Was there an EJ25 in the 96

when you opted for the 4EAT?

"Help needed: 98 Outback w/95 2.2 swap"

Color me corn-fused

I'll second Skips questions. I'm very confused about what the car really is.

Also, in that link his only reason for saying it's an EGR issue is because that was the only thing he hadn't replaced.

Keith

Skip-

The PO had 2 outbacks, one of which he sold my cousin. I looked through his old posts looking for clues to the problem before posting this thread. I read all his posts, and then posted the question as worded.

Now, going back to the link I posted above, I see I F'ed up. This is the 96 with the 2.5, NOT the 98 with the 2.2 swap.

The garage he took it to started it on while still on the flatbed and told him it was toast. He had it towed home. How can I verify that is indeed beyond hope? My cousin (like most of us) doesn't have much money, and I don't have a lot of free time to help.

If it comes down to it, where is a good place to find a used motor in the Chicago area?

Sorry for the confusion.

-Bard

car-part.com. Seems like Elgin Super always has a couple. There are so many BS artists in Chicago I would be wary of the shop's opinion, however.

the codes need to be read. "car is toast", that's not enough info to go on. he should have the codes read (takes one minute and parts stores do it for free). post back to us what the codes are. worst case, shop charges $50 to do it.

did it loose any coolant (easy to check, anyone can do it, requires no tools).

did it overheat? is the overflow tank full or empty or where it should be?

adding a quart of oil is chump change, that did nothing to the motor. i hear nothing yet that's telling me the motor is hosed. it could be as simple as a spark plug wire or ignition coil. $40 repairs.

Thanks for clearin' it up Brad.

Sorry to read the outcome.

I don't think the codes will tell your valves are bent.

Might get a misfire code??

You may want someone?? to remove the T-belt covers

and verify the valve timing.

A comp check might be a good idea also.

The EJ22 swap is now a for real deal.

Thats what my OB got when the idler went south.

Thanks again and here's good on ya and your cousin.

Skip-

Sorry for the confusion.

-Bard

Well, I would verify that it is indeed "toast" first. As the others have stated, a compression test, checking cam timing and seeing what kind of noises it makes come to mind too.

If you're up for an ej22 swap-- I bought a "JDM" EJ22 from Eric Japan engines on Elston Ave (they sell on e-bay; contact directly for a better price.) It's a dual port with no egr, so you'd have to either try tapping the LH head & swap in a US spec '95 intake manifold or deal with a CEL due to EGR. I have not yet run the engine I bought from them, but it's nice and clean looking...it just LOOKS low mileage. I'll report once I fire 'er up.

Nathan

Well, I would verify that it is indeed "toast" first. As the others have stated, a compression test, checking cam timing and seeing what kind of noises it makes come to mind too.

If you're up for an ej22 swap-- I bought a "JDM" EJ22 from Eric Japan engines on Elston Ave (they sell on e-bay; contact directly for a better price.) It's a dual port with no egr, so you'd have to either try tapping the LH head & swap in a US spec '95 intake manifold or deal with a CEL due to EGR. I have not yet run the engine I bought from them, but it's nice and clean looking...it just LOOKS low mileage. I'll report once I fire 'er up.

Nathan

Well, it is a 96 so if he's throwing CELs all over the place it's not going to work for emissions. If you figure out a way around that let me know, I'd definitely be interested.

I probably won't be able to look at it until this weekend anyway.

Well, it is a 96 so if he's throwing CELs all over the place it's not going to work for emissions. If you figure out a way around that let me know, I'd definitely be interested.

I probably won't be able to look at it until this weekend anyway.

I've got a 96 Legacy GT with a USDM 95 2.2 swap in it. I've put over 5,000 miles on it since I did it and no CEL. My only issue is less than expected fuel economy, but the 96GT automatics run the 4.44 final drive ratio so it spins pretty high rpms on the highway.

I've got a 96 Legacy GT with a USDM 95 2.2 swap in it. I've put over 5,000 miles on it since I did it and no CEL. My only issue is less than expected fuel economy, but the 96GT automatics run the 4.44 final drive ratio so it spins pretty high rpms on the highway.

I wasn't saying that 2.2 swaps all have CEL problems...the 2.2 swap in my wife's '98 Outback works great and passed Illinois inspection OK. The particular supplier of JDM engines I mentioned does not have engines with EGR, hence you will have a CEL for EGR flow unless you do a workaround of some sort. (Adding EGR or cleverly faking it out SOMEHOW.)

Nathan

I wasn't saying that 2.2 swaps all have CEL problems...the 2.2 swap in my wife's '98 Outback works great and passed Illinois inspection OK. The particular supplier of JDM engines I mentioned does not have engines with EGR, hence you will have a CEL for EGR flow unless you do a workaround of some sort. (Adding EGR or cleverly faking it out SOMEHOW.)

Nathan

Oh yeah, I knew what you mean, I just wanted to re-assure Awgrimm that there is nothing wrong with this swap. I only payed $250 for my motor from a repectable junkyard, and the motor only had about 70k on it. That was all.