Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power Steering Shudder and Whine

I posted a message earlier about this. I have a '01 Legacy GT. After getting the timing belt and head gaskets replaced and back from the dealer, the steering is making a whining sound and sometimes shudders when turning (way before the stops). I just talked with the dealer and they said that they think it is probably the Power Steering Fluid Pump. Does this sound reasonable to anyone? If so, how much am I looking at to have them replace it? Any chance any of this is caused by the work they just did? It seems weird that the steering didn't behave like this before.

Thanks!

Is the fluid level correct? Is it bled out properly so there's no air in the system? Is the belt in good shape and properly tensioned? Are the hoses kinked or bent or damaged or anything? It's kind of hard to kink them but since the engine was out...

The service manual has some other tests you can do on the pump.

If it is the pump, a new oem pump is not cheap, like $300. Overtightening the belt did mine in. According to the service manual, the pump internals are servicable, but I don't know how readily available the individual parts are. Maybe Subaru offers rebuilt pumps.