Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for new (to me) Outback... Which engine?

BTW, when it comes to shipping a vehicle it might pay to shop around. The DAS folks who always seem to be linked on Ebay first quoted me $950 or so to ship this to me in Charleston, SC. After some talking I got them down to $750 but when I talked to the seller he said he works with a shipper that soon has a truck headed to Fl and could just drop it off on the way for $500.

John

Hi John. Looks like a nice Subaru! Actually you might still have a little warranty left on the HG's in that vehicle if the coolant conditioner was added under the recall. I have an '00obw too, no HG issues (yet!). That is the phase II 2.5L which may develop the external peeping coolant leak.

If the HG's were done, the only main way it would show up on carfax is if the work were done at a Subaru dealer, which then it gets into my.subaru.com and then carfax pulls data from there. If you go to my.subaru.com and register there with the vin (since you just bought the car you'll have to fax them the bill of sale or title showing transfer to you or some proof of ownership) then you can see the Subaru service history.

• 4 months later...

If the HG's were done, the only main way it would show up on carfax is if the work were done at a Subaru dealer, which then it gets into my.subaru.com and then carfax pulls data from there. If you go to my.subaru.com and register there with the vin (since you just bought the car you'll have to fax them the bill of sale or title showing transfer to you or some proof of ownership) then you can see the Subaru service history

This is true. I bought my fourth Subaru two weeks ago and was not able to determine PRIOR to buying the vehicle from a used car dealership that this vehicle had diagnosed damaged head gaskets. The Carfax for this OBW (1998) did show the previous owners had all service, recall and warranty work performed at the Subaru Dealership and only a driveability check at the last service--no repair. The car was traded in for a new soob. I test - drove it with extreme prejudice--mainly focusing on torque bind and watching the gauges for weirdness. Beautiful car. I was impressed (my experience with soobs is limited to EA82' s for the most part; I never suspected the heads would be shot!)

My auto broker did not suspect the car had this defect, and allowed the car to be driven and test-driven before I bought it. I only learned of the problem upon purchase and en route the local Subaru / Porsche / Mars Rover dealership to pick up new keys for the car. It overheated on the way and I drove the Outback into Subaru's garage. I haven't driven it since. "Friendly" Subaru (East) cracked the heads and determined the mated surfaces were warped. Damn. That's when I logged into USMB for the first time in a long time.

I found cold, clear reality and some solace for my woes.

Fortunately, the car dealer I bought the car from offered to fix the problem. They had the engine (in a box!) sent to Subaru's local machinist. The shop was able to machine the surfaces affected successfully and rebuild the engine with new belts and water pump. I should have it back this week.

I'm looking forward to it!

The EJ25D seems to be a great engine, on paper. I appreciate the wonky Subaru-engineering of it. But it IS a hothouse flower, for sure!