Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well im getting that sweet sickening smell again from somewhere in the engine compartment with no visible signs of hoses or radiator leaks, and just had the timing belt and water pump and all that stuff done within the last 10K miles, soooooooo, i got under it last night and see it dripping from the back of the engine somewhere so im surmising head gaskets again. this is on a 2000 legacy that has already had the head gaskets done under the extended warranty at around 75k a couple years ago. So ive got an appointment to have it pressure tested on wednesday and im sure im going to have to go thru the flush and goop process first, my question is has any one had the head gaskets go a second time after having them replaced under the extended warranty and if so do they warranty them a second time as well?

If its still under 100K they should be warrenteed. i dont know how long the work itsel is under warrenty. Also have the shop do a dye test. This makes it possible with black light to trace the leak to its source.

Blu always had a sweet smell to her (1997 OBW) untill the engine was replaced. He never lost coolant. My freinds 2005 Forester the same but no coolant loss, and when i rented a 2006 OBW it too had it, but the dealer could never find the source.

It may not be as terrible as you think (lets hope).

I would replace the radiator cap as a precaution.

keep us informed :)

nipper

If its still under 100K they should be warrenteed. i dont know how long the work itsel is under warrenty. Also have the shop do a dye test. This makes it possible with black light to trace the leak to its source.

Blu always had a sweet smell to her (1997 OBW) untill the engine was replaced. He never lost coolant. My freinds 2005 Forester the same but no coolant loss, and when i rented a 2006 OBW it too had it, but the dealer could never find the source.

keep us informed :)

nipper

I had the first HG repair done at 77K and now have 127K i should think with the new updated gaskets it should last more than 60K miles!! i will have it looked at first thing in the morning at the dealer, what a drag.:-\

that it's leaking from the back probably rules all of that out. but nipper brings up the most important point, always make sure it's not something simple. it's easy to think headgaskets....but don't forget to do a thorough check of everything before proceeding. that you saw coolant means you really need to inspect where it's coming from. there are heater core lines in the back that had to be removed and reinstalled to do the headgasket work the first time. it wouldn't be hard for those to have been compromised in some way and be leaking now and dripping somewhere around the back of the motor.