Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check engine light came on monday morning on my '05 when I started it up. So I left it parked and drove a different car. Came home tuesday night and finally hooked up my laptop and used Delta Dash to get the code. It comes up as 53B4 Prepatory code. Does anyone have a clue as to what this could be? I searched Legacygt.com, here, nasioc.com, and google and found nothing. The car idles rough, and it had been driven fine saturday, and left parked sunday. My dealer can't get the car in until sometime next week, but I swear I heard a some knocking from the motor when I first started it up to check for codes. I don't want to drive the car 10 miles to the dealership if I've got a big problem.

Thanks in advance for input!

Keith

Never heard of that before. Do you have a regular scanner where you can get the Pnnn code out of it? 53B4 almost sounds like it's some hexadecimal value that hasn't been processed to get the P code.

Delta Dash has a regular code scanner built in. I use it all the time on other car. If you do some digging there are other people that have had these strage codes, but they never seem to find out exactly what they are. Some people claim it's a warning code that something was a bit out of whack, but not enough to cause harm. I may try stopping at a parts store to see what a generic code reader thinks it is.

05 Legacy might NOT be OBDII, but CAN bus. If you are using an OBDII reader, then you are not reading the code.

Good point.... CAN isn't required until 2008 models, and from what I've read as of the '05 models Subaru still wasn't using, but that could be the case.