Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First timer with a Subaru

New member of the family with a "new" 86 GL Station Wagon. Got it for free from an old farmer that was done with it and had used it to haul some hay, it hasn't been licensed for the past 2 years. Bad as that sounds, it is still in decent shape (especially for free), it is a 5 speed, 4x4, dual speed transfer case, 138xxx miles and oddly enough, ice cold air. I currently have an off-road toy (a toyota 4runner that can be seen at the link below) so I don't know how much I will build the subaru for real off-road capability, (especially with 13" wheels) but I am eager to learn about this car as it seem to have quite a following. If you care to see, I have some pics posted at the link listed below.

http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w259/hyryz/

look forward to finding more information on this board and maybe posting some things that I do on here as well.

Looks like a pretty decent one to start off with too...

Since you are new to this platform, you may as well go thru the systems, and get your maintenance caught up (and learn alittle about what Subes are all about). Plenty of information and suggestions on this Board. My recommendation is do everything on the "120K Service interval" which covers most of the big items.

Once you got this thing solid again, you can think about upgrades including off-road options. I'm personally not a big fan of lifts and monster tires, but lots of people do that sort of thing with these cars. What I suggest is try some taller tires on the 13" rims. Like 185/75/13 for example. You might be surprised what a slight lift will do, especially with that D/R trannie.

This should be enough to get a good feel for what these cars can do, and help you decide how far you want to go with it.

good luck, John