Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-82 Rear wheel bearing questions (yet again)

HELP! My left rear wheel bearings on my '89 GL 4x4 are pretty much history, and the rights can't be far behind..my local auto parts guys are clueless ("duh, gee, should I order the $59 dollar bearing or the $79 dollar one? I don't have any idea which one fits your car, Mr. Customer"), and frankly I don't wanna spend EITHER amount at this point in time..

*Anyone got any idea what the bearing numbers were for the original inner & outer rear bearings/races? I'd much rather just slope over to my local bearing supplier and get 'em for about one fourth the cash..but I don't wanna have to tear the car apart first to match up parts, yanno?

*I figgered I'd highlite the actual question before y'all got lost in my incoherent ramblings..

Sorry for the repeat question, but I've searched the site 'til my fingers went numb as my skull and didn't find the answer in the umpteen gazillion rear wheel bearing threads.

You're 89 may not have an inner and outer tappered bearing. It may have the large single roller bearing. I'm not sure when they switched. But You may just have to tear into it to find out. 89 FSM shows the 2 tappered bearing setup, but I've taken apart an 88 DL that had the single roller bearing.

The whole bearing assembly must be replaced. There were two types used - early bearings were a single sealed unit, and later they changed to the three peice affair with two taper bearings/races and a spacer. The part numbers were superceeded and the new part is backwards compatible. All EA series 4WD trailing arms use the same system - only the bearing assembly itself changed in design. The WHOLE mess has to come out not just the outer taper bearings.

GD

Yeah, I realize that the outer race (or races, if it's two piece) needs to come out, and I figured that either setup worked since the axle stub & carrier are the same parts with both versions. I'm just wondering if anyone has a part number or bearing number(s) available so I can order the correct stuff BEFORE tearing the car apart to minimize my downtime.

Well the number on one of my bearings is NTN 4T-CR1-0683. But there is no number on the race. The race intsself is one piece for both bearings that I'm sure was specially made for subaru. So I don't think you will be able to get it from your local bearing shop. Hope this helps