Ultimate Subaru Message Board

According to edrach you need to loosen the two bolts holding the hub to the lower portion of the strut, then you'll have enough play to get the axle out of the tranny- since you mention stub I'm assuming you have an auto. Should just pop out once you have enough room.

There are other ways to do this by removing more stuff -stick to edrach's since it seems simpler.

Hi. With the pin knocked out, can you push and pull the axle joint in and out on the diff stub shaft? It should give you an inch or more of play.

If it does not move, you'll have to free it up with some penetrating oil, maybe some hammer tapping, etc. If you pry, lever the pry bar off one of the bolts on the diff. Do not lever off any other metal parts because they can crack.

It won't move enough to slip it off the stub shaft without loosening/removing some fasteners at the wheel end.

I just completed this job on '00obw and have pictures and video, just haven't had a chance to write it up yet. edrach's write up is what I referenced and it went smoothly. I removed the strut to knuckle bolts to get my clearance. If you do it this way, pay attention to the brake flex hose so as not to pull on it excessively.