Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Normal RPM at 75MPH for XT?

I'm wondering, since I haven't had a little car in a long time.....if anyone owns an 86 XT (or close to it), what you normally see on your tach when hitting 75MPH on the highway. I know it's a smaller motor, so of course, it'll wind up more.......but how high do you think is "normal" for those?

Entirely depends on the transmission - my 5 speed sedan is at about 2500 at 60 MPH in 5th, and the 2WD 3AT Coupe is at 3000 at 60 MPH.

These engines (like all small displacement 4's) like revs. I just finished doing a timing belt on a Miata with the 1.6 - it's at 3200 RPM in 5th gear at 60 MPH :rolleyes:. That engine develops 115 HP but at a high RPM. It's gutless at 3000. The EA82 is similar, but develops more low-end torque.

The experimental aircraft guys run the EA81's at 7500 for hours.

GD

Hmmm...maybe I shouldn't worry then, if these smaller engines love revs. I guess comparing the RPM with my minivan is not a good idea since that one has a highway overdrive gear that has way lower RPM's than normal drive gear.

I'll learn.........really. It'll just take a little getting used to. :grin: