Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I tore a CV boot last night it is torn on the top and leaking onto the exhaust making an oh so wonderful smell!!! I have it in at the shop right now and they are unable to get parts until tomorrow or Monday, I am on vacation until Wednesday, any opinions on if I should be able to go for 4 days without doing any damage to the cv joint (it is the p/s inner CV joint boot). Also I have priced both an after market and a OEM boot the OEM is about double as to be expected, any opinions on which I should get? I do not mind paying the extra money if the OEM is the better choice, but do not want to spend the money if it really doesn't make a difference.

Hi. If you are planning to just have the boot replaced (as opposed to having a Subaru or MWE reman axle installed), then I would not drive it until the boot is replaced. Otherwise additional grit and dirt may get into the joint.

The RH (pass) inner boot is not uncommon to tear since it's right near an exhaust member. The OEM boot quality is known and seems to be pretty good.

If you must drive it before having the boot replaced, it wouldn't be too bad on clean dry roads. If you drive in rain or dusty conditions then the risk of grit/dirt in there increases.

It was suggested in a similar thread to get a plastic bag, heavy trash bag would be my choice, and wrap it around the joint. Put some grease in there and tape it up for insurance before you do the boot.

I don't recommend this. It makes a big mess when the bag comes apart and spews grease all over. Ask me how I know.

I would throw in a reman axle when you get the money. They are pretty cheap. I don't mess with boots anymore. For now just drive it until it clicks - which could be years.

rd

There is no point whatsoever in letting a good axle go bad just because you can install a new one when it goes bad. Besides, he's already got a big mess in there from the boot rupturing the first time.

The method I'm saying is not a long term band aid. I'm talking like if your boot breaks monday and you won't have time or money to fix it untill the weekend or next paycheck. It will keep the dirt, water, and grime out of the joint and allow you to save money by not buying another axle when you've still got a good one with a bad boot. Boot kit $30+ 3hours for a newb, and a big mess you clean up > $130 on a new(not reman as they are usually crap) axle+ 1.5 hours for a newb.

The line of thinking you are speaking is the reason so many of our subes fall into a state of disrepair. "Why fix today what I can put off untill it breaks" I have to listen to this line from my dad whenever I suggest preventative maintainence on my mom's 98 Legacy. It erks me to no end.

Okay, well I have ordered a OEM boot from Subaru, and I have an appointment to have the boot replaced on wednesday. They have quoted me 74.00 (cdn labour) and I think the boot is going to be about 60.00cdn. It seems like I should be ok to drive it and a garbage back trick it seems like a good idea, only question though is will the heat from the exhaust not melt the plastic? Also just curious why is everyone so quick to want to replace the axle when a boot goes?

Also just curious why is everyone so quick to want to replace the axle when a boot goes?
Because once the boot breaks, that gives the joint a chance to get dirt in it and once there's dirt in it, putting a new boot on isn't going to fix that.

I wouldn't even bother with the garbage bag. Just drive it like it is. But, for $60 Canadian, you could probably have a remanufactured axle with a lifetime warranty and no need to worry about axles again.

Mine ripped on me about 1.5wks ago. I've been driving it w/ no concerns in the rain and dusty roads, since I am going to be swapping in a mwe axle. I don't want to go through the process of swapping the boot. It is much easier to pull 3 bolts and a roll pin to put in a new axle. My axle has ~130k on it, so a new axle should last me (I hope).

Because once the boot breaks, that gives the joint a chance to get dirt in it and once there's dirt in it, putting a new boot on isn't going to fix that.

I wouldn't even bother with the garbage bag. Just drive it like it is. But, for $60 Canadian, you could probably have a remanufactured axle with a lifetime warranty and no need to worry about axles again.

Wow Did nto realize they were so cheap, I had to replace the passenger side axle in my impreza a couple years ago and the part was about 250.00 (aftermarket) and I think about 3hr labour.

Wow Did nto realize they were so cheap, I had to replace the passenger side axle in my impreza a couple years ago and the part was about 250.00 (aftermarket) and I think about 3hr labour.
I can do axles for 60 US an axle and 60 an hour for labor.

I can do axles for 60 US an axle and 60 an hour for labor.

Too bad you live so far away then!!! I see posts all of the time here with parts pricing in the U.S, for some reason in Canda Subaru parts are always so much more expensive. I bought a cargo cover and bug deflector online from the states paid as much or more for shiping than I did for the actual items and it was still about 1/2 of what I woyl have paid here.

Both my cv joints are shot, the boots are cracked and no grease left. I just bought replacements from an online vendor. I paid about $181.00 for both inner and outer. And you'll know when you've waited too long that clicking sound is very distinctive!