Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys i finally finished up my passenger side CV change... as some of you kow i was having some problems removing the pin to separate from the tranny... after the "new" CV in and going for a test drive i noticed a wobble on that wheel up to 20mph... now could it be a bent cv axle? or the rotor that is in need to be changed?

thanks in advance

Neo

Hey guys i finally finished up my passenger side CV change... as some of you kow i was having some problems removing the pin to separate from the tranny... after the "new" CV in and going for a test drive i noticed a wobble on that wheel up to 20mph... now could it be a bent cv axle? or the rotor that is in need to be changed?

thanks in advance

Neo

It has been my experience that bent CV axles (halfshafts) can be sensitive to accelleration/deceleration. If the wobble doesn't change on throttle/ coasting/ engine braking then I would suspect something else. I'm not saying that it's impossible it's a CVJ/Axle issue, just less likely.

Does the shimmy worsen or clear up under braking? If so, then you could have a rotor issue. Overtorque the lugnuts and warp the hub and rotor during reinstallation?

Finally, did the car sit a long time while you were doing the work? Could be a flat spot on a tire or rust on the brake rotors.

Good luck,

Nathan

a wobble? i would check your axle nut immediately and make sure it didnt' back off. did you crimp the nut back into the axle when you were finished, crimp it well so it doesn't creep. did you put plenty of torque on the axle nut?

how exactly did you replace the axle, what all did you remove? ball joint, tie rod, strut bolts, etc? did you make sure to retain your alignment of the top strut mount camber bolt?

You might also check to make sure that the axle washer is on the right way.

My mechanic got them on backwards when they changed the tranny on my old 90 Loyale turbo sedan. It ruined the hubs because of it.

The washer is just a bit concave(?) and is designed to keep pressure on the nut. Put it on backwards and you can't keep the nut tight.

Don't know if that applies to your car or not though.

Megell

It has been my experience that bent CV axles (halfshafts) can be sensitive to accelleration/deceleration. If the wobble doesn't change on throttle/ coasting/ engine braking then I would suspect something else. I'm not saying that it's impossible it's a CVJ/Axle issue, just less likely.

Does the shimmy worsen or clear up under braking? If so, then you could have a rotor issue. Overtorque the lugnuts and warp the hub and rotor during reinstallation?

Finally, did the car sit a long time while you were doing the work? Could be a flat spot on a tire or rust on the brake rotors.

after an extensive taking apart and putting back together, i found out that the proble lies with the cv axle... i got a used axle from the junk yard. :banghead:

the woble only occurs when the suspension is set on high (air suspension)while accelerating on high position up to 20mph then it goes away, the nut is also crimped on the axle correctly.. on low position its barely unnoticed

how exactly did you replace the axle, what all did you remove? ball joint, tie rod, strut bolts, etc? did you make sure to retain your alignment of the top strut mount camber bolt?

i only removed the strut bolts and i marked the top bolt to retain the alignment