Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just got a 1990 Subaru Legacy and it has steering wheel wobble and pulsations when braking. I know the rotors are probably warped which is causing the pulsation when braking. The steering wheel wobble is most pronounced between 50-65 mph. The car doesn't pull at all so don't think it's an alignment problem. The car doesn't shake, just the steering wheel. I raised the car and tried to move the tires perpendicular to the car but all four wheels were snug so I don't think it's wheel bearings or ball joints. I just changed from studded to summer tires (both used) and have same steering wheel wobble with either so don't think the rims or wheels are the problem. If it's tie rod end or u joints, How best to check (how much play is acceptable)? Any diagnostic suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

I had steering wheel wobble on a car and it turned out to be a separating tire...... doing 50 it took out everything in the wheel well.... be carefull about driving it untill you're sure it's not that...... Bret

It is my opinion that 90% of all "warped" rotor problems are caused by uneven pad deposition on the rotor surface.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

Of course, resurfacing or replacement corrects both conditions. It's still the rotor.

Turns out the front right tire (just had mounted on rims) had uneven tread. The mechanic said it was ready to separate so I'm lucky it didn't happen while I was driving 70 mph! It's the same mechanic who just mounted the tire on the rims but he says it was uneven when he installed it (unlikely). It took care of the steering wobble. I still have the warped rotor to take care of to eliminate the pulsation that occurs while braking.

Jim

I'm glad you found that.... It was pretty hairy driving along on 4 25" tires when then what sounded like 3 M80s' went off inside the car to suddenly have the drivers side front wheel only 14" was tough enough to keep it in control and get stopped safely. Bret