Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C Compressor On the Fritz!!!

Hey All,

I had a non functional A/C unit about 12 months ago and fixed it with a 'jumper' wire that bypassed the themostat that turned off the A/C. The fix worked, never got super cold, but it was functional.

Now my A/C compressor is making a ton of noise every time I turn on the air conditioning, like there's a card in the fan...

My questions are:

1: Is the jumper/non functioning thermostat to blame here?

2: Can the compressor be fixed without replacement?

I read Grossgary's vacuum fix post which may be an answer, but not sure.

Thanks!

Hey All,

I had a non functional A/C unit about 12 months ago and fixed it with a 'jumper' wire that bypassed the themostat that turned off the A/C. The fix worked, never got super cold, but it was functional.

Now my A/C compressor is making a ton of noise every time I turn on the air conditioning, like there's a card in the fan...

My questions are:

1: Is the jumper/non functioning thermostat to blame here?

2: Can the compressor be fixed without replacement?

I read Grossgary's vacuum fix post which may be an answer, but not sure.

Thanks!

You may have done damage to the compressor by running it low on refrigerant/oil. If it is noisy enough to indicate mechanical failure you may be faced with the "black death" (like I was) requiring replacement of every major component and thorough cleaning of the lines.

I have other threads on how to modify the currently available evaporator coil to fit my 97 legacy. The exact original part may not be available.

Fortunately, all components are easy to remove and replace.

IMO, AC recharging is not a casual task for the DIY, and usually should be evacuated prior to recharging.

jumpering a/c stuff is bad, go to your room! you can not do that with the compressor. those systems are in place for a reason. not too mention forcing the compressor on is very dangerous. at this point you're probably looking at replacing most components in the system and starting from scratch. i'd quit using it right now and diagnose if you want any chance of having an easy fix. all of that noise could mean bits and pieces are blowing all through your a/c system (black death mentioned earlier). if that's the case you can't just replace the compressor. any compressor you install will be likewise ruined by the particulate matter left in the system...so you have to essentially replace a lot of things.

now, maybe it's not the internal goodies, you'll have to check.

OK. I'm in my room. Now what? :confused:

Yeah, I had a weird feeling about jumpering it 12 months ago, but I learned about it....here on USMB. Lesson learned.

The noise sounds like a fan. It came on all at once when the A/C was in full effect and now its does it right when the A/C is turned on. On the bright side, it's probably only run noise for a total of 30 sec. So maybe there's hope?

Is there a good guide or Thread on diagnosing how extensive the damage is, or should I take it in to the shop?

Thanks.

jumpering a/c stuff is bad, go to your room! you can not do that with the compressor. those systems are in place for a reason. not too mention forcing the compressor on is very dangerous. at this point you're probably looking at replacing most components in the system and starting from scratch. i'd quit using it right now and diagnose if you want any chance of having an easy fix. all of that noise could mean bits and pieces are blowing all through your a/c system (black death mentioned earlier). if that's the case you can't just replace the compressor. any compressor you install will be likewise ruined by the particulate matter left in the system...so you have to essentially replace a lot of things.

now, maybe it's not the internal goodies, you'll have to check.

the room thing was just a joke, sorry, you can come out now. i've never had a compressor self destruct so i can't tell you how to look or what the symptoms may be. if i were you, i'd plug around the internet (google or yahoo) and see what signs indicate a failed compressor that compromises the system. there are some good resources out there. what i would personally do is just take it apart myself. i'd remove the compressor lines and see if there's anything abnormal in there and inspect the compressor. probalby not the best or "right" way, but i don't really care once something is broke i'll start taking it apart and see what i can find out myself. be on the look out for discoloration (anything not yellowish - the color of the oil) and bits/chunks. bits/chunks are very bad. maybe you're lucky and it's just the clutch or bearing behind the clutch that's going bad. actually the bearings are replaceable without removing the a/c. there's good information on this board about how to do that - you might want to find those threads and see if that could be your problem as well. it's the bearings right behind the clutch/pulley.

the room thing was just a joke, sorry, you can come out now.

Yeah, I know. I've got a good sense of humor. :grin:

I'll try and see what I can find on bad compressors...and send it to his room!!!

Thanks. May ping USMB again in a few days to report what I've found.

Cheers.