Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise Control retrofit

How hard is it to put the factory stuff for cruise control in a vehicle that doesn't already have it? And what all parts are necessary to swap over?

I'm looking at putting cruise in my 89, 5spd, 4WD, SPFI. Audiovox sells an aftermarket kit for around $100, and I may go that route if the OEM stuff is difficult.

I think this might have to be your call...I just finished looking at the installation manual and personally when comparing it a set-up on a subaru were I could take pictures and immediately take one part off at a time and install that part onto the next car, for me would be the way to go...but since I have never done this before I would think that the hardest part of the job would be attaching the wires etc onto the new signal arm running under the dash(I hate bending over and turning my neck anotheer 180deg)..also haveing some spare parts wouldn't hurt either

There is a unit under the hood of some sort (totally ignorant on terminology here, sorry), the switches of course, and I believe an electronic control module under the dash. The VSS on the two vehicles must be the same type; if memory serves, the digidash and analog VSSs are slightly different? and you need to use cruise from an analog car if youre putting it on an analog car? I am uncertain, but I have been keeping my eyes open regarding this stuff because ultimately I want to get another soob to take all of my GL-10 bits off an retrofit onto, including the factory cruise.

For the record, there ARE kits for less than a hundred bucks.. but i do not know anything about how well they work. My uncle has owned and installed several different types of systems; I will ask him roundabout how much he paid vs. the quality of what he has.

I will be following this thread with interest.

I've noticed two types of cruise control units while cruising junkyards.

One type (found on an 86), has the controls on the turn signal stock. The other type (found on an 88), has the controls on the steering wheel.

My guess is either:

A) They switched types in 87 like everything else

B) One is a dealer add-on, the other is factory

More to come once I scavenge my FSMs for parts lists and start pulling parts.

I've noticed two types of cruise control units while cruising junkyards.

One type (found on an 86), has the controls on the turn signal stock. The other type (found on an 88), has the controls on the steering wheel.

My guess is either:

A) They switched types in 87 like everything else

B) One is a dealer add-on, the other is factory

More to come once I scavenge my FSMs for parts lists and start pulling parts.

B. Steering wheel switches == factory cruise, turn signal == dealer install. A wild guess says that the dealer install kit would be simplest; Do both kits have a "power" button up underneath the rear defogger switch? the factory cruise power switch is an illuminated plunger switch that is a blank button on unequipped models.

So yes, you're right Daeron. I found, nestled in all of my manuals, a SUBARU Cruise Control Parts/Service manual for 1986.

The turn signal stock type is the dealer add on, and the steering wheel one is the factory option.

Differences I can see are:

The factory option has the main power switch for cruise below the defogger, and it appears the dealer add-on's power switch is on the turn signal stock.

Also, the dealer add-on uses the tachometer signal to control speed instead of the VSS. Makes that easier.

Apart from that, the rest of the parts are basically the same.

Sounds like the dealer add-on is a much easier option. Here appears to be the total parts list I need:

- Valve and reservoir bracket

- Servo bracket

- Module bracket

- Servo

- Reservoir (the big sphere)

- Wiring... appears to be a different harness for auto or manual trans

- Module... must be the control computer

- Clutch switch wire

- Brake switch

- Clutch switch

- Valve body

- Bead chain (this is what the servo pulls on the pedal with)

- Vacuum stuff

- Control switches

That's a long list of parts I need. What's worse, is there are different pieces for Carbureted, SPFI, Turbo, Auto, Manual, 4WD or FWD... Its crazy. So if I can find a 4WD, SPFI, Manual with the dealer cruise, I'm in luck... *sigh*

BUT WAIT! This manual I have is for an 86. 86s must have the headlight switch somwhere besides the turn signal stalk? My 89's headlight switch is on the turn signal stalk. Ergo, I can't replace it, since the cruise stalk has nothing for headlights.

The audiovox unit is starting to look much easier.

you shouldnt need any additional vacuum reservoir, the bottle thats already there for the AC controls should be adequate. The car DOES already have a vacuum reservoir up on the firewall, engine side, passenger side? If so it is sufficient. IIRC, the dealer kit cake with one so as to make it universal, able to be installed into vehicles without a canister already. My cruise doesnt need a second canister, anyhow.

I bet you could splice into the existing vacuum circuit and get plenty of power to run what you need; it isnt much.

BUT WAIT! This manual I have is for an 86. 86s must have the headlight switch somwhere besides the turn signal stalk?

Yes, at least mine did... The headlight switch was where the hazard button is on my 88, and I'll asume your 89. Its wierd how they altered the buttons over the years but left the same holes.

My advice would be go with the Audiovox electronic cruise kit (mod# 250-1316) I've installed them on a lot of vehicles, generally pretty easy. Hardest part is usually just finding a good place to put the brain. Connect to throttle cable, just requires electrical connections to brake switch,vss, and switched 12v (&tach if so desired). The control switch looks a little cheesy, but overall they seem to work pretty well.

please let me know how you like the unit. I never really thought I would want cruise control, until I fixed it in the GL-10. I mean, I had used it in other cars, but I never turn it off on my soob, and I am surprised how often I use it (especially given the volume of traffic I find myself using it in.) It helps me keep from letting my speed creep up if I am not paying attention, among other things. Also helps with the hands-free driving, because we all have to steer with out knee once in a while.. :eek:

I've got the Audiovox CCS-100 sitting right here waiting to be installed. Now I just need to find time to install it as I'm outta town all week for work and have way too much to get done in 2 days as it is. Once school starts I'll have lots more time, kinda odd thing to say but true. Install looks easy though. Hardest part is getting the harness through the firewall. If you go this route let me know how it went and I'll do the same if I start or finish it.

• 5 months later...
How hard is it to put the factory stuff for cruise control in a vehicle that doesn't already have it? And what all parts are necessary to swap over?

I'm looking at putting cruise in my 89, 5spd, 4WD, SPFI. Audiovox sells an aftermarket kit for around $100, and I may go that route if the OEM stuff is difficult.

I have a factory loyal cruse control kit in the box with instructions. Never installed, left over from my dealer ship days.

Jim

you shouldnt need any additional vacuum reservoir, the bottle thats already there for the AC controls should be adequate. The car DOES already have a vacuum reservoir up on the firewall, engine side, passenger side? If so it is sufficient. IIRC, the dealer kit cake with one so as to make it universal, able to be installed into vehicles without a canister already. My cruise doesnt need a second canister, anyhow.

NO, the existing bottle is not enough.

There are two type of cruise installed on these cars, regardless of where the buttons are.

All factory type Cruise used a electric vaccuum pump and resevior. Not tied to the engine vac at all. This type the control unit is in the dash, above the glovebox.

The dealer installed type uses a spherical canister that bolts to passenger strut tower. This serves as the extra resevior. It is hooked to a servo, that in turn sends proper vaccuum to the diaphrahm at the pedal. It's control unit is ussually mounted up above the hood release cable pull. Up high under the dash. Looks to have FoMoCo badging on it? This kit uses factory type switches mounted on the wheel, and one below the defrost(*main switch) But it is obviosly spliced in.

My GL Turbo has the dealer add on kit. The spherical resevior was destroyed in the engine fire that the car had before I got it.

I tried tying into the white vac resevior for the heater controls. It didn't work, I would slowly lose speed and the heater vents would only blow throught the dash after a while.

I would say best option is to find a car with the dealer added kit. Less parts to install, and made to intsall easily.

The factory installed stuff is pretty well tied into the harness, and inaccesible. Either could be done however.