Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MY97 Legacy L Wagon to BUY???

I found a MY97 Legacy L Wagon with 115K at a Subie dealership as a trade-in. This will be a replacement for Lil' Blue (see http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77293 ).

Body has 1 or 2 minor dents but over all VG. Took it to my mechanic and here's a short list:

Windshield crack - needs replacement.

1 Valve cover - minor leak.

1 to 2 cams seals - minor leak.

Rear struts are "weak" will need to be replace but not right away.

Outer CV boot on Driver's side shows loose clamp with slight grease leak.

Tires are BF Goodrich Touring 60% tread left that show slight feathering on front.

Rear brakes close to done.

The AC delivered 44°F at the vents in 92° outside temp.

The 2.2 runs smooth :banana: and the car appears to have been garaged it's whole life. Inside is clean and no worn seats, but the sunvisor materal is ripped on the DS. I ran it hard to the redline and braked from about 70 mph HARD and the ABS performed as expected without any complaints. Np torque issues either!!!

I ran a Carfax and its a 1 owner and was purchased and serviced at this dealer until 68K.

:clap:

So, any opinon on how much to negotiate for price-wise?

I know the dealer will most likly wholesale the car, so if I knew what the BLACK BOOK wholesale value was I could work from there.

I have the car until tomorrow when I take it back and talk "turkey".:rolleyes:

EDIT:

I know I have 5K until 120K for a timing belt and other scheduled maintainence.

The thing is they just had it on the back lot. $5200 when I quized the sales rep, but I know there is a lot of wiggle room. I figure to make it right I'd have to put at least $1200-1500 within the next 6 months. they might have discounted a new purchase $2500 on trade. I think it's been there a few weeks and I figure the wholesale dealer might give them $2500-2700 for it as-is, but I'm not sure.

I think $2500 is a steal, $3000 is fair, and I wouldn't pay over $3500. I'd only pay that much if it were the only game in town.

I found my 97 wagon 134k on a suburban Chicago lot asking 3900, paid 3600 total including taxes reg and plates.

Dose taxes and reg add up.

Good tires, brakes, changed timing belt to be sure, drove it 10k before doing anything, then replaced AC, and am now doing struts.

I found my 97 wagon 134k on a suburban Chicago lot asking 3900, paid 3600 total including taxes reg and plates.

Dose taxes and reg add up.

Sounds like a good deal. I got my 97 MY Legacy sedan with a $2995 listed price for 3100 out the door with taxes, title, tags and all that other dealer nonsense. I think the taxes/tags/reg and fees came to a bit over $500, so the car was only $2700.

It had 119k, so like I did the timing belts, water pump, seals, ABS issues, rotors and pads, exhaust, new rims and all fluids. After another $1400 in maint/pm and upgrades and 7000 miles later, she runs like a dream!!!

Best of luck on your new ride.

I forgot I started this thread. I picked up the 97 Wagon for $3500. It's in exceptional shape otherwise I would have passed on it. It's a 1 owner garaged beauty. Clean engine compartment with no rusted nuts, bolts or mounting brakets under the hood. And I couldn't let the 2.2 pass.

http://www.geocities.com/ss_aruba/golf_shots/BluWagoon.jpg

I already replaced the windshield for $200 and will be putting new rear disk brake pads on soon.

It's still listed on VEHIX.com:

http://www.vehix.com/inventory/VehicleDetails.aspx?zip=19810&make=Subaru&model=Legacy&year=1997&inventoryid=770000008CF497

And Autotrader.com:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rdpage=thumb&car_id=226289929&dealer_id=294911&car_year=1997&marketZipError=false&awsp=false&search_type=used&num_records=25&keywordsfyc=&make=SUB&transmission=&model=&distance=75&make2=&address=19810&default_sort=priceDESC&advanced=&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=6000&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=1997&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=1995&drive=&search_lang=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=12

I will miss the folding side view mirrors on the 95 though.:rolleyes:

I think will be putting the WRX wheels from the 95 on as well.

http://www.geocities.com/ss_aruba/golf_shots/IMG_0096.jpg