Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help with cv axle change?

So I got the axle spindle into the hub, but can't get it through to save my life. I put new wheel bearings in and it seems to be a really tight fit. Does it take a severe amount of torque to set it in the new bearings? Headed to the store for washers now, hopefully that helps. My only concern is how much torque to put on it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rod

So I got the axle spindle into the hub, but can't get it through to save my life. I put new wheel bearings in and it seems to be a really tight fit. Does it take a severe amount of torque to set it in the new bearings? Headed to the store for washers now, hopefully that helps. My only concern is how much torque to put on it. Any suggestions?

I bought some PVC pipe and cut it to different lengths, to use as spacers, to help pull the axle through. I just put the PVC in there and screwed the nut on; then had to use a shorter piece of PVC to get it closer, etc.

Ok...got it on and seated in the hub. Put everything back together, and drove it. Now the cv joint is making worse clunking noise then the old one :mad: Clunks on acceleration thru 2nd gear and when I make turns under acceleration. It's a brand new axle, not remanufactured. Any ideas on why it's clunking like a bad cv joint?

Rod

ok this just happen to me, I bought a new axle and didnt even drive it and it was pulled apart at the CV joint:mad: what happen was they gave me a EA81 axle not a EA82 axle. dont know if this will help but worth a try. You have a EA81 or EA82??

Tony~

It's an '84 Brat GL, so I think it's an EA81(still learning :) ) I replaced the wheel bearings, and ball joint...had trouble getting the axle through the new bearings. Once I did everything came back together relatively easy. It's now making more noise then the old axle was :confused:

Rod

Ok...got it on and seated in the hub. Put everything back together, and drove it. Now the cv joint is making worse clunking noise then the old one :mad: Clunks on acceleration thru 2nd gear and when I make turns under acceleration. It's a brand new axle, not remanufactured. Any ideas on why it's clunking like a bad cv joint?

Rod

I have the same problem in my brat, has been doing it for six months. Don't know what to do either.

Re-torque the axle nut to start with, 145 ft lbs or more.

Check your motor and tranny mounts, they could be bad especially the tranny mounts, (bad design from factory).

Check for play in both front axles. Only movement should be in/out along the length of axle shaft from wheel to tranny. Some wobble at tranny stub axle is normal.. (from what I've read on here)..

So I put it in 4WD and the noise almost goes away. It's still there occasionally, but it's nowhere near the same sound. Any thoughts?

Also...this is my first 4WD. I had a very hard time turning it into my parking spot. Is it normal to not be able to make sharp turns while in 4WD?

Rod

So I put it in 4WD and the noise almost goes away. It's still there occasionally, but it's nowhere near the same sound. Any thoughts?

Also...this is my first 4WD. I had a very hard time turning it into my parking spot. Is it normal to not be able to make sharp turns while in 4WD?

Rod

You shouldn't be driving in 4WD on pavement, its not healthy. Also it could be because you probably dont have power steering.

I decided to put it in 4WD on a whim on my way back from friends house. The thing is...when it's in 4WD, the clacking/clunking sound pretty much dissapears. It's still there occasionally, but not like it is in 2WD.

I checked the tranny mounts and motor mounts...they all seem to be good. I pushed/pulled on the shaft of the new axle..can't budge it. Took the DOJ off the spline, put it back on, cursed it, retightened everything, drove it...same thing.

The old axle wasn't making any sound..the DOJ boot was ripped. Is it possible that the new axle I have is faulty? Or maybe the new axle has exposed a new problem?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rod

I changed out my left front axle on my 84' and clunked worse then the one I took off, also it was a very tight pull to put on.... so I took it back, all they had was a re-manufactured one that looked like it was in the bottom of the pile but last one in town so I had to put it on. Went on easier and worked perfectly??????

I have no idea why, but it sounds like you have the same situation?

That is the only thing I could suggest is if you have the receipt take it back and try it again.

Also when you have them in your hands you can feel through the boot and feel if the bearings are all in place and make sure it hasn't pulled apart. I was also told that if you let the end flop down it has enough force to pop a bearing out/seperate out of the axel inside the boot.

Wish I had more info. :-\

I'm assuming we're talking 1/2 shaft, correct? You gotta watch how you setthose down, etc - you can pop them. Always flat - some people lean them up against a wall up & down ... Also, if you have a new one, the joint itself should be pretty tight - should offer some resistance - the remans are often sloppy. Did you try it when it was out of the box?

If the noise is going away in 4wd, I have to assume (and I can't claim to be an expert on this one) that the noise is a torque-relates issue. Something is applying force to a part that is producing the noise, and that force is eing distibuted differently when you put it into 4wd ... what about cornering? Are you sure it's the CV that's making that noise? Can you get it on the lift and manually rotate the tire and listen/feel for it up-close & personal? Does it do it in Neutral? R? certain gears? High speed? High Torque? Each of these answers can help point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the boards - hopefully, there are some of the old-timers who can put my sorry-assed theory to rest and tell you what's REALLY wrong. It might just be that you got a bad one ...

The new CV axle was very tight. I couldn't pull the tranny side(DOJ?) out while I held it in my hands. Not that I tried very hard, but when I reinstalled it onto the tranny shaft, it did slide out so as to make the appropriate length. Maybe I pulled it apart at that moment?

It only makes noise on acceleration. While I had it up on the jacks, I started it up and ran it, turning the wheels, and no noise. I turned the wheels by hand, no noise. I don't notice it in reverse, although I haven't backed up that much. The clunking speeds up as I do. If I put in into 4WD the clunking probably lessens by about 60%. It's still there, but much less frightening.

I'm fairly certain that it's the CV axle making the noise. The old one that I replaced only had a tear in the boot, but no noise, so I don't/wouldn't think that something went wrong in between.

I think I'm going to try and replace it again this weekend. Hopefully it's just a faulty axle. If not, I'll be back on here asking questions :)

I'm going to be a donor here real soon :lol: My next project is going to be the gearshift bushings...permitting nothing else goes wrong in the mean time :)

Rod