Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacement Battery Suggestions

You just need to keep them Clean (baking soda and water) and keep them full to the tabs on the inside of the cells with pure water, And keep them charged properly... if you take care of it, and it wasnt a bad bat to begin with, It should last its warrented time, mabey a little more.

Most people aren't aware that lots of auto parts stores sell used batteries from time to time. Call a few local AutoZones and AAPs and ask if they have any used batteries in stock. Should be $25.

Often, the batteries aren't used; just past their expiration date. Other times, customers with a bad alternator turn in a battery core that's still fully functional. Try to get the former.

Most people aren't aware that lots of auto parts stores sell used batteries from time to time. Call a few local AutoZones and AAPs and ask if they have any used batteries in stock. Should be $25.

Often, the batteries aren't used; just past their expiration date. Other times, customers with a bad alternator turn in a battery core that's still fully functional. Try to get the former.

Thanks for the idea but I think I will pass. Somehow a used battery doesn't sound good to me.

~Howard

:eek:

what you mean you dont feel like getting stranded?

EXACTLY !!

Somehow buying a "used" battery seems like using a condom for the second time.

It's a USED battery for a reason. GEE....these things aren't that expensive.

I just don't like waiting in the winter cold at night for the auto club to give me a hot shot.

~Howard

:eek::eek:

All gel cell bats are AGM, (absorbed glass Mat)... sorry If I sound like a jerk, I dont mean to, just want let you know that, Deep Cycles are for extensive use without charging... you got a decent batery! Optima red tops are the best for our applications, but deep cycles are for things like trolling motors and heavy machinery that doesnt get operated freaquently.. either way they will work perfectly for cars though!

All gel cell bats are AGM, (absorbed glass Mat)... sorry If I sound like a jerk, I dont mean to, just want let you know that, Deep Cycles are for extensive use without charging... you got a decent batery! Optima red tops are the best for our applications, but deep cycles are for things like trolling motors and heavy machinery that doesnt get operated freaquently.. either way they will work perfectly for cars though!

Hey, I know the engines better than battery brands. :-\

I do know that this one is great!

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Technically, AGM and gel cell are two different types of non-spillable batteries, the former being more common.
True; one consequence of the difference is that AGM type can be charged similarly to standard flooded wet-cells, while gel cells need more careful control of charging current or they can be damaged. This article explains some basics: http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery_gel_agm.html

This piece goes into more depth, although it focuses somewhat on marine applications: http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/01.Type/

in my area, the used battery selection is a set of batteries that were brought in as exchange, they are old, replaced as preventative maintenance but still tested fine. they were good for old cars, used car lots, parts cars, farm trucks and the like, but i would never recommend buying one of those for a normal daily driver. except maybe for someone who just doesn't have a spare penny.

what about amp ratings? up north they have higher amp ratings, does that come at the cost of lowering battery life?

good info guys, time to do some battery maintenance on mine.