Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy AWD 2.2 Need a Tech near Houston

This car is fantastic. My wife bought it new in 96. It's like a go cart...One flaw would be the breaks but anyway...

The car has 220K on it and runs great. It's leaking from the rack and pinion area and I need to find a local mechanic that can do this job. The cam and (or) crank seals are leaking too. The oil is landing on the muffler and smoking etc. The timing belt was replaced at 100K and 200K

It looks like I can get all of these parts for under $300 but I need a good tech.

Any ideas? Suggestions? I'm in Conroe Texas north of Houston.

Thanks!

I found a ARC rack & Pinion for about $250 @ car parts team

Is it worth spending the money on this car? There is no body damage and it's in the sounth so no rust.

I think the 2.2 is a great motor..

It had a belt at 200K

How much should these repairs cost?

Hello from Magnolia TX.

Most shops around me specialize in Ford and Chevs, big suprise there. In case you have not noticed these are very rare cars in our part of the world. I'm originally from the Pacific Northwest, whole different ballgame there.

I have no tech recommendations as I do most of my own maint. I would try to narrow down the source of the leak you speak of, maybe take some pictures and post here or bring it by my house some afternoon. I'd be happy to peek at it.

The rate of leakage is very important to me. Because if it's just a dribble I would put off repairs while monitoring fluid levels until something else in that area needs attention. I recently replaced my valve cover gaskets on my 97 Outback and that stopped 99% of drips onto the exhaust. It still seeps at the front of the engine but its very minor. I suspect you may need new valve cover gaskets and it's possible it's being masked and has you thinking you need rack and pinion work. I could be wrong though, its happened before.

Ryan

Hi from the Woodlands, just bought a 98 Impreza wagon with the 2.2, so I'm also interested in any local subaru mechanics. I do most of my own work though.

I have a pretty good oil leak on the back side of my engine I haven't fully investigated yet, figure it might be a rear main. Not interested in tearing into it until I have to though. For leaks I go to a car wash, spray engine degreaser on the suspected area, blast it clean, then observe for where the leaks originate.

Hi from the Woodlands, just bought a 98 Impreza wagon with the 2.2, so I'm also interested in any local subaru mechanics. I do most of my own work though.

I have a pretty good oil leak on the back side of my engine I haven't fully investigated yet, figure it might be a rear main. Not interested in tearing into it until I have to though. For leaks I go to a car wash, spray engine degreaser on the suspected area, blast it clean, then observe for where the leaks originate.

You may also be a candidate for valve cover gaskets by the sounds of it.

I'll admit I've done the carwash thing before, but for the kids at home, use caution wetting a hot engine block with a hose!

Enjoy the heat and humidity.

Ryan