Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello first time user need help 98 outback legacy

i have a 98 legacy outback with 77 k miles on the car. the check engine light is on.

the car was computer diagnosised that its 3rd and 4th cylender was mis firing. what can be causing this problem

I already replaced the coil, plugs and wires and still no change

if any one has an suggestions on what to do next would be greatly appeaciatated please help i need to take the car to school in two weeks so it would help if i get help asap....:headbang: thanks

did you clear the code after installing new parts?

make sure your plugs and wires are clean, seated properly and gapped correctly. it is imperative that the wires are snugly fitted.

if NGK plugs and Subaru wires weren't used, then that's probably the issue. these EJ series engines are very sensitive to ignition components. i've seen brand new wires cause cyilnder misfire codes right out of the box on these motors.

this problem was pre existant prior to changing the plugs. and wires

And changing them was your answer. But the quality of parts used when they were replaced can cause the problem to persist. NGK plugs should always be used in these motors, with new OE or magnacore wires.

this problem was pre existant prior to changing the plugs. and wires
doesn't matter. what plugs and wires were installed? i know what you're thinking, but in this case it is highly possible...actually the most probable explanation, is still that you need Subaru wires and NGK plugs. could be something else, but you need to find out what plugs/wires were used first.

did you clear the code after installing new parts?

make sure your plugs and wires are clean, seated properly and gapped correctly. it is imperative that the wires are snugly fitted.

if NGK plugs and Subaru wires weren't used, then that's probably the issue. these EJ series engines are very sensitive to ignition components. i've seen brand new wires cause cyilnder misfire codes right out of the box on these motors.

yes infact they were ngk plugs

but i never reset the code

i think you should pull the engine and take a close look at the dirt that falls of the water filter wire, then have it looked at:eek: by the cops

i think the engine should be taken apart piece by piece:Flame:

I think you should try to be helpful or not speak...

i think you should pull the engine and take a close look at the dirt that falls of the water filter wire, then have it looked at:eek: by the cops

i think the engine should be taken apart piece by piece:Flame:

thanks thats what i thought. no really:banana:

doesn't matter. what plugs and wires were installed? i know what you're thinking, but in this case it is highly possible...actually the most probable explanation, is still that you need Subaru wires and NGK plugs. could be something else, but you need to find out what plugs/wires were used first. this board probably has more subaru knowledge and experience than most, if not all, dealerships in the country, it would be in your best interest to answer questions so we can help you! and the best part is we're a little bit cheaper than dealerships!

thanks i really appriciate your input and knowledge. to answer your question i did infact use ngk plugs but the wires were not subaru specific. thanks i will have to get some new wires

Hi kc reale and welcome! If the problem is not the plugs, wires, or coil pack, the next step up in the system is the ignitor (which drives the coil pack), and next step up the system after that is the ECU output driving the ignitor. Cylinders 1 and 2 spark at the same time, and cylinders 3 and 4 spark at the same time. Could be a poor connection somewhere along that line.

Ignition-System-Schematic.gif

speek i will

for the 3rd and 4th to miss , and the problem being there before the plugs and wires were changed , dont you think to think it could be the Injectors ?

Bratman slow down , take some pills:confused:

yeah i thougt it could be the injectors but i wasn't to sure i want to see what others thought

i did infact use ngk plugs but the wires were not subaru specific.
the wires are more important than the plugs. i can't gaurantee that it's the wires, but it's likely. to rule it out you could swap wires...cylinders 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 so to speak (swap sides) and see if the cylinder misfire code moves with the wires, then you know for sure. that requires clearing and reading codes later, may not be very definitive and i'd much rather have Subaru or Magnecor wires on an EJ engine anyway. even if the problem lies elsewhere, i wouldn't be at all surprised for those aftermarket wires to cause issue later, so to sum all that up, i'd just replace them whether they are the problem or not if it were my vehicle.

highly unlikley to be injectors, but that's a common thought. misfire...injector...sounds plausible.

Hm...question, on a H4 Subaru are the pairs of spark plugs connected in series or in parallel? if you unplug one of the plug wires, does the opposite cylinder stop firing as well? Like if you unplug #3 wire, does #4 plug not fire?

Also welcome surfsubbe, do you have a Subaru?

if you just swap wires, both ends that is, then it doesn't matter what the firing order is no more than installing new wires, you're just rotating them. in other words put the #3 wire totally in place of #1...or however you want to do it.

no
odd that you're both listed from NY, from Long Island, misspell things in a similar fashion, seem to communicate similarly, like the smilies, joined the group at the same time and don't use punctuation...then you questioned your own comment about fuel injectors, had me going.