Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subie 4eat history please???

hey so i found out that either they were called 4eat of subaru 4-speed. my next big prob im havin is the one used in the 4wd xt's in 88, is i dont know when they started to be used and in what other models... i was wondering if any one could help by lettin me kno this info orrrrrrrr if anyone has a good site or sites with info that could lend me a hand... thanks alot for those who will help

would it be each engine type has its own trannys? or do they chare with other engines?? i really shouldnt have waited till the week before my papers due to find this stuff!:eek: ..... if no one has info anyone have any suggestions on where i could go or call to find some info?? think a dealer would be any help??

haha oh yeah i definatly know better than that.. plus if you jus copy and paste you dont learn anything and that defeates the whole point of doin this haha.. plus theres a presentation.. plus the only time hes said subaru even in our class is talkin about ecvt outa a justy because we have a cut away of one haha. but i know to be a good boy haha. plus i gotta lengthen things probably too.

haha oh yeah i definatly know better than that.. plus if you jus copy and paste you dont learn anything and that defeates the whole point of doin this haha.. plus theres a presentation.. plus the only time hes said subaru even in our class is talkin about ecvt outa a justy because we have a cut away of one haha. but i know to be a good boy haha. plus i gotta lengthen things probably too.

Care for a little advice?

It sounds like your presentation is basically just the sort of thing where the teacher wants you to immerse yourself fully in a subject, and learn all there is to know about it. The presentation aspect of it is merely to prove that you know what you're talking about, right?

Anyhow, the way I always handle these things (and it might seem obvious) is find a document or article such as the pdf that you were given.. and read that, familiarize yourself with it and understand it.. then do something like search "4EAT" on the various sub forums here, read peoples experiences with the gearboxes at random, and then go back, look over your "fact sheet" pdf again. Then, write yourself a brief outline of what you have to say about these gearboxes. Fill the outline in with a series of facts and statistics, combined with whatever real life experience you have discovered that is relevant to points as they arise. Make the outline just a "cheat sheet" for the presentation, and then basically go into class with some notes, and tell these people what you know about this gearbox.

NOT being the first person to do these presentations is usually the single thing you can do to make it easiest.. but some people (or some presentations) are best if you just step up and do it before any one else has a chance to make a precedent. You get to be the judge of that, but that was just some minimal advice.

From what I gather, this trans is an amazing gearbox, and I am not fond of automatics. It was good enough that its still virtually the same today, right? or at least until 98 as the pdf stated.. In any case, patience and preparation are the important parts.

Good luck!

actually it seems like it still ina way being used.. they also had an article oh the phase 2 4aet they used in 99 and up which seems almost the same but jus more tweeks to the design.. yeah ill probably read through it then pick through it for notes to write the paper with then as i writer read everyonce inawhile then i should be good.. i aslo have the workshop manuals for the 88 xt which has a huge section on the technical info for thiese trannys.. yeah id say theyre unique comapered to anything ive seen with its push button 1st gear selector for engine breaking.. pretty cool i must say and i think the teach will like it too ahah

From what I gather, this trans is an amazing gearbox, and I am not fond of automatics. It was good enough that its still virtually the same today, right?

what still baffles me is that the first generation EA/ER series 4EAT's are more reliable...of course i'm basing this on experience and oppinion, than the newer 4EAT's. older 4EAT's never have torque bind issues. they are more prone to overheating, failing hoses, coolers and radiators, old fluid, abuse (people tend to treat old, undervalued cars worse than newer ones)....but yet they still are very durable today. i'm still baffled why the older model ones don't have TB issues like the newer EJ varieties. i've owned about 20 XT6's, worked on a bunch of others, been moderator of xt6.net and was a member of another xt6 group for over 10 years before xt6.net even existed....i've yet to see one XT6 with torque bind. i'm sure it's happened, but it's very, very rare on EA/ER stuff.

im not sure about that.. reading through the article on the 4eat phase 1 that the only differences between the ea/er models and ej models transmissions is that the legacy didnt have a push button 1st gear. all excpet that in 95-98 tcu upshifts to help with overevving was replaced with fuel cut offs that started with the imprezzas. i dont know seems like an amazing tranny like he said sto be used and jus uprgraded basically a little through the years rather being replaced all together

I think the earlier ones use a less aggressive Torque split pattern under normal driving. It's not physical differences in the transmission, but rather differences in the TCU's that control them. All of the EA/ER series 4EATs I've driven seem to very little torque applied to the rear end until considerable slipping occurs. This means less day to day wear on the transfer clutch.

hey so i found out that either they were called 4eat of subaru 4-speed. my next big prob im havin is the one used in the 4wd xt's in 88, is i dont know when they started to be used and in what other models... i was wondering if any one could help by lettin me kno this info orrrrrrrr if anyone has a good site or sites with info that could lend me a hand... thanks alot for those who will help

www.cars101.com

www.endwrench.com

nipper

what about the simple facts of much less torque and power being pushed through the gearbox, with much less weight holding it back?

To me, those alone would be ample reason for an identical gearbox to suffer more failures and be less reliable in the imps, and leggys, and outbacks, and foresters.......... The tons start racking up pretty quick.

what about the simple facts of much less torque and power being pushed through the gearbox, with much less weight holding it back?

To me, those alone would be ample reason for an identical gearbox to suffer more failures and be less reliable in the imps, and leggys, and outbacks, and foresters.......... The tons start racking up pretty quick.

Good point.

But the problem most often complained of is ussually Torque Bind. Added stress and weight would contribute to wear on the drive members, forward clutches, and brakeband. But not nessesarily much added stress to the transfer clutch. It really only loads and wears during cornering, and a 3200 lb vehichle can generate just as much as a 4000 lb one, when you're talking torque bind.

what still baffles me is that the first generation EA/ER series 4EAT's are more reliable...of course i'm basing this on experience and oppinion, than the newer 4EAT's. older 4EAT's never have torque bind issues. they are more prone to overheating, failing hoses, coolers and radiators, old fluid, abuse (people tend to treat old, undervalued cars worse than newer ones)....but yet they still are very durable today. i'm still baffled why the older model ones don't have TB issues like the newer EJ varieties. i've owned about 20 XT6's, worked on a bunch of others, been moderator of xt6.net and was a member of another xt6 group for over 10 years before xt6.net even existed....i've yet to see one XT6 with torque bind. i'm sure it's happened, but it's very, very rare on EA/ER stuff.

Define older vs newer. What years are we talking about. We see TB as an issue from 1995 on up. From 1995-1997 1/2 it was a design flaw by subaru.

Most the time TB can be traced to people not chainging their fluid, kisktached tires, or under inflated tires. Manuals are far more succeptable to TB then automatics due to tire issues. Also sometimes things just get tired and wear out, like the solenoid or clutches.

I dont know what kind of system the XT-6 had so i can't really say what the difference is. But also the newer 4eats are put in much larger and heavier cars. They have more powerful engines.

You really cant compare cars that are 10 years apart in age, especially when they are so unrelated.

nipper

well part of my project for this was to get all the tsb's pretty much for the tranny and this one pertains to the whole "torque bind" issue by my knowledge

^ Transmission: Subaru 4 speed with 4WD

^ Subject: Chattering/binding in corners

^ Application: Subaru

Subaru Automatic 4 speed with 4WD

Slow speed sharp corner chattering/binding

The Subaru automatic four speed with 4WD uses a computer to control shifting, pressure rise, the torque converter clutch, and the transfer clutch. A malfunction of the transfer clutch can result in a condition called "tight-corner braking", which is felt as a chatter or bucking while turning a corner slowly,

Inputs to the computer which may affect the operation of the transfer clutch are the VSS, TPS, inhibitor switch and manual switch. The transfer clutch is controlled by duty solenoid C. At 95% on time, the transfer clutch is released and at 25% on time, the clutch is applied. Fail-safe or loss of power to the solenoid will result in full time 4WD.