Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replacement O2 Sensor, 1993 Impreza

Hi,

I need to replace my O2 sensor on my Scoob, so I looked up some prices online. This is when I got confused. There's one for 2 wires, 3 wires, 4 wires, etc. Can anyone tell me how many wires my Scoob's O2 sensor has without me having to physically pull it out myself and look (I don't have a lot of free time). Also the best price you might have found?

It's a 1993 Subaru Impreza L 1.8L sedan.

Thanks!

There are 2, one upstream and one downstream. Do you know which one you need? If you know where the sensor is, it's easy to follow the wire to the connector.

If you're not buying an OEM sensor, be aware that they sell them with and without the connectors in place. You'll have to decide whether or not you want to splice the old connector onto the new wires or buy one with the connector already.

All the advice on here is to use OEM for the upstream sensor and other assorted things. I've failed to see any reasoning why a different quality sensor (or plugs, or whatever) wouldn't work, so I'm not sure if there's anything to those opinions or if it's just one of those beliefs that stick on internet forums. (No offense to anyone!:) )

Yes OEM is typically suggested for the front o2 sensor. Especially since you said you don't have a lot of free time, OEM is going to be your best bet.

It's not a whole lot more expensive than the generic aftermarket sensors, and you will save time because it will fit right and the connector will match right up to what you have.

No cutting the connector off the old sensor, figuring out which wires match up to what, soldering, heat shrinking, etc. to the new sensor.

For that '93, if you do buy an OEM sensor, you may very well find out it says Bosch on it.

Order the sensor from a Subaru dealer who sells parts online; there are many. And it will be quite a bit less cost than buying from your local dealer, unless your local dealer wholesales parts. 22690AA190

1stsubaruparts.com has em for $93.56 plus shipping ($7 to $10 typically) for the OEM, that should be your benchmark, and the concensus here seems to be to stay with OEM for O2 sensors, not aftermarket. You can always ask a local dealer to match price with an Subaru Internet store (some will, some wont).

The number of wires usually indicates how the sensor is grounded electrically. Some aftermarkets have no connector on the end so you need to "splice" the O2 wires to the car's wire harness. Buy the OEM and you'll know you have an O2 with the connector that plugs right in.

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price

22690AA190 $129.95 $0.00 $93.56

Exhaust system - Exhaust components - Oxygen sensor

Oxygen sensor - 1.8 liter 1993 - 1995

Another reference: http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=2357

And be happy for your small Subaru problems. My bro is trying to R&R the front 02 sensor on his gf's 2003 Toyota Rav4 with 40k miles on it. Hey it is right up front on top of engine, easily reached without removing anything just lift the hood......should be a piece of cakewalk, right???? yeah um, apply force, hmmmmmmmm, why so tough? Apply more force with breaker bar, oops, SNAP goes the 02 sensor tool as it cracks in half. Many hours later, saw the old sensor in half to get a spark plug socket on to crank it with even more leverage. Finally gets it out, and you guessed it, totally mushed threads. This is a 2003 gently used Toyota, folks. Ouch.

Yes that's a good point. Soak it every few days with some good penetrating oil as far in advance of the job as possible. Then they seem to come out easiest when the exhaust is a little warm. If the vehicle has been sitting overnight, I start it and run it for about 2 minutes. Be careful of course as the exhaust is hot now. But it helps in getting the sensor out.

22mm (or 7/8") 6 pt wrench should take 'er out. Special o2 sensor socket tool not required. Just unplug the connector, feed it through the wrench, undo the old one.

All the advice on here is to use OEM for the upstream sensor and other assorted things. I've failed to see any reasoning why a different quality sensor (or plugs, or whatever) wouldn't work, so I'm not sure if there's anything to those opinions or if it's just one of those beliefs that stick on internet forums. (No offense to anyone!:) )

I've had no issues using aftermarket. In fact, it's lasted longer (132K) than the OEM did (90K).

Some will tout the tight tolerances of the OEM parts needed for peak performance. I don't believe it, and my experience has proven so. But, with the online Subaru parts dealers prices, the OEM are just a few dollars more than the aftermarket if you want that OEM warm and fuzzy factor ;) . By the way most aftermarkets are Bosch, Denso, or Walker - I believe Subaru uses mostly (maybe all) Denso as their OEM.

So if I get the OEM replacement, the connectors come with them?? I'm sorry, just a bit confused. I'm a car newbie.

Correct. It will plug in directly to your stock plug. No messing around with wire in replacements. Also, your car is obd1, so you only have one o2 sensor to deal with.

Right on. The OEM o2 sensor will have the proper connector already attached.

Some aftermarket o2 sensors do not come with a connector. You have to cut the connector off the old o2 sensor and figure out which wire to match up with on the new o2 sensor, then solder and heat shrink or other seal. Usually they do include these 'quick clamp' butt connectors or other type but that is not necessarily a good connection.

Correct. It will plug in directly to your stock plug. No messing around with wire in replacements. Also, your car is obd1, so you only have one o2 sensor to deal with.

Actually I just went to the Subaru dealer and their system showed that my car had 2 O2 sensors? One in from for air/fuel, and one in back for just oxygen. And he looked up the part with my VIN number, so I assume he's correct, but I thought it only had one as well....

???

Actually I just went to the Subaru dealer and their system showed that my car had 2 O2 sensors? One in from for air/fuel, and one in back for just oxygen. And he looked up the part with my VIN number, so I assume he's correct, but I thought it only had one as well....

???

Hmmm... Thats a new one for me. But then again I haven't owned, or worked on an ej18 car.