Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does AC effect power or mileage??

Im a huge Mythbusters fan. On one of the fan websites, we debate the accuracy of their results constantly. And Im sure its impossible to replicate 'real world' conditions... but one thing I would bet my Outback on, nothing on that show is 'staged'. They try their best to be accurate, while having fun and providing good entertainment. But no way do I believe they intentionally fudge the results. And when they are 'called' on a particular outcome, they often revisit the topic and do it again in a revised manor. Way off topic, but i had to defend those guys.

I once had a 1980 Datsun 210 sedan. A massive 1.4 liter OHV, Automatic w/ air... When that compressor cycled on, you damn near hit the windshield. I'll agree with Manarious,on that car at least, it sure felt like 30 hp or more, lol.

Im a huge Mythbusters fan. On one of the fan websites, we debate the accuracy of their results constantly. And Im sure its impossible to replicate 'real world' conditions... but one thing I would bet my Outback on, nothing on that show is 'staged'. They try their best to be accurate, while having fun and providing good entertainment. But no way do I believe they intentionally fudge the results. And when they are 'called' on a particular outcome, they often revisit the topic and do it again in a revised manor. Way off topic, but i had to defend those guys.

I once had a 1980 Datsun 210 sedan. A massive 1.4 liter OHV, Automatic w/ air... When that compressor cycled on, you damn near hit the windshield. I'll agree with Manarious,on that car at least, it sure felt like 30 hp or more, lol.

Oh i agree, its not staged, but from an engineering point of view and testing methodolgy and standards, they are very far off.

I see they are running out of material, as they are getting off the "myths" and instead recreating things that actually happened.

Back to our regularly schedualed thread

:burnout:

nipper

They try their best to be accurate, while having fun and providing good entertainment
that they try to be accurate doesn't tell the original poster much about his vehicle. and i didn't necessarily contradict that, but in the same way they choose certain "myths" over others for the overall entertainment value, they would be stupid not to do the same thing within the tests they are doing and make decisions that increase their overall value. that they use nice, new SUV's in itself is proof, of course it looks nice, rides nice, sells and gives a positive image. no matter how or why it came about, an SUV will surely have different results than a car. expecting subaru results to mirror an SUV probably isn't very accurate.

I should have learned by now to stick to gaining excellent technical info here for my Subaru, and giving some advice when and if my experience in the automotive field could help out.

I was merely defending the Mythbusters program, in that I believe they strive to be accurate. The thread had moved far from the original post, and I was not commenting on if a clapped out Sube would react the same way to AC on as a shiny new SUV. Seems obvious to me that it would not. Would you expect a network program to test older vehicles for this? Frankly, I dont see where quoting my responce had anything to do with your last post.

A new Mythbusters episode starts now. Bound to be more entertaining than this....LOL. Forgive me for adding my 2 cents (again)

The thread had moved far from the original post, and I was not commenting on if a clapped out
true that. i missed that we were talking about different things. you were talking about their candor in testing, which is an interesting topic that i was getting sidetracked on as well.