Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3 Month Road Trip 93 legacy wagon

I'm planning a 3 month road trip around the west coast. I live in Memphis, TN. I'll be starting the trip driving through texas, New Mexico, Arizona and into LA. Then poke around the coastal areas for a couple months, end up in Vancouver, BC.

I showed a friend my route to LA and they said my car wont make it, said it's too hot and it'll overheat.

I'm hoping to get some advice. What measures can I take to tune up my car so it'll make it on a 6k+ trip. My car has 160k right now, doesn't give me a lick of trouble.

Thanks a lot!!

Kellen

Our 96 Legacy has 220K on it...

It purrs like a kitten

I'm working thru a few minor bugs but I'd take mine for that spin. I live in Texas and it was 100deg today...

These machines just keep ticking... Mine feels like a go cart

:Flame:

Its reaching 105 and with some major humidity here, but i'm not driving long distance here. Thanks for the reply! Cant wait to reach 200k!

If it were me, I would do some extra maintenace, if it has been some time since these items were worked on:

Change transmisson fluid if you have an automatic. It is an easy job of just pulling the drain plug, then adding new ATF.

Flush the cooling system, then add new coolant.

Check brake pads, replace if getting close to needing new ones.

Change sparkplugs

Change oil and filter

Change radiator hoses if they feel squishy soft, or look worn.

Good luck, I bet your Subie will get you there and back.

Do above said maintenence. I think if you have have trouble there will be enough USMB er's that would help you out too. Make sure you have access to the internet, via wireless laptop. McD's has free wifi. Film the whole trip like those vw guys...........

Its reaching 105 and with some major humidity here, but i'm not driving long distance here. Thanks for the reply! Cant wait to reach 200k!

Driving long distances is not the problem, its when you get stopped in traffic with high temps and A/C running.

Just make sure your fans are working properly. A new thermostat doesn't hurt and checking the hoses is good insurance like mentioned before.

And remember if you start to overheat, you can lower the coolant temperature by turning on the heat full blast. The heater core is a little radiator and can make a difference. :Flame: (Just remember to roll down the windows!)

My wife and I took our '93 AWD Legacy everywhere, up and down California's central valley in the summer heat and over the Sierra Nevada, enjoyed the AC all the way and never experienced any overheating. In fact, the temperature gauge never climbed above the half-way mark. I never really bothered with cooling system maintenance on that car, except to observe that the hoses were in good condition and the water pump wasn't leaking (it never did leak); all was well until a minor accident made the car a total loss at 156K miles. Those 2.2 engines are not trouble-prone at all. The DOHC EJ25's aren't so bad either, but they don't have that bulletproof quality yours has.

Before a long trip, I'd just make sure any deferred maintenance items are brought up-to-date; that way, you'll avoid worries.