Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Checked knock sensor;now starts but won't run

I checked my knock sensor yesterday; it was uncracked so I reinstalled it. Now the car starts but won't keep running. You can catch it before it stalls, but dies again even if you stay on the gas. I checked for loose vacuum lines, wires, etc. I did spray out the throttle body while the airbox was off, but I've done that before with no ill effect. I'm really @#$%ed-please help!

Check the 1" rubber hose that hooks to the Idle air control motor from under the main air intake pipe. If that's off, it will start but not run, and it's under the main intake hose so it's easy to forget.

This sounds like the winning ticket. I did that yesterday when working on mon's 98 legacy. Same exact symptoms as the poster.

Right on, any of those 316 hoses on the intake tubing like to come off. If you had the throttle open when spraying that cleaner in there, it might take some running for it to clear it out. If it is just the cleaner in the intake, running for a while at 1/4 throttle will help clear it out. Usually they sputter and stall if you just try to let them idle after spraying cleaner in the intake.

Check the 1" rubber hose that hooks to the Idle air control motor from under the main air intake pipe. If that's off, it will start but not run, and it's under the main intake hose so it's easy to forget.

Bingo!! I don't know how I missed it, but the IAC hose was not hooked up at the intake plenum. Hooked it up, runs great. Thanks all--props to 91Loyale and 86BRATMAN.:clap: