Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej swap basic questions

skinnyhb

alright, i've done a search, but there are so many threads on EJ22s that i can't quite sort out the basics from the 20 some odd pages of search results.

could someone point me to a thread that may cover what i am looking for or just quickly answer these questions?

keep in mind i know little about the details of the process, however, i am intrigued.

1. what all would i need to do the swap into a stock 89 1.8L gl wagon 5speed D/R 4wd?

1a. what is a price range for the items above?

2. what is the time frame and difficulty level of the process (what are the odds a basic level wrencher could do this with a little help from friends)?

3. where could i find a description of the process?

4. what would the horsepower increase be with the basic swap?

5. what would the horsepower potential be with the engine and car combo?

5a. what would the cost and etc be on the additional horsepower add ons?

6. is it worth it (the basic swap)?

thanks in advance,

kenny

alright, i've done a search, but there are so many threads on EJ22s that i can't quite sort out the basics from the 20 some odd pages of search results.

could someone point me to a thread that may cover what i am looking for or just quickly answer these questions?

keep in mind i know little about the details of the process, however, i am intrigued.

1. what all would i need to do the swap into a stock 89 1.8L gl wagon 5speed D/R 4wd?

1a. what is a price range for the items above?

Go with an OBDI set up. You can get it to pass smog and be a CARB certified swap :banana: you can find old legacys or impreza for around a grand. junkyard would probably cost you about 400 full price. If you can catch a 1/2 price sale then your set :headbang:

2. what is the time frame and difficulty level of the process (what are the odds a basic level wrencher could do this with a little help from friends)?

level of difficulty is on the probably a 4 on the scale of 5.

It depends on if you get buying or making your adapter. Mechanically speaking it's just pulling the engine and putting it back again. Electrical is time consuming but not difficult.

3. where could i find a description of the process?

what phizinza said

4. what would the horsepower increase be with the basic swap?

EJ22 would be around 140 or so.

5. what would the horsepower potential be with the engine and car combo?

Depends on your motor and what you want. EJ22 can be mildly turboed w/minimal changes. Fuel management is key. Bigger boost would require engine management and stuff. w/bolt on stuff you can probably get up to 160 or so.

5a. what would the cost and etc be on the additional horsepower add ons?

from free to thousands. EJ22 is a great platform to start a build on.

6. is it worth it (the basic swap)?

YES. DO IT

PM me and I can give you some info on the how to do it California SMOG legal

BW

Skinny Clear your PM....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thats funny, i'm a member on a number of various boards and i've never had to clear out my pm's. i always thought it was only the popular guys who had that many pm's.

that is pretty funny. i'm a member on many boards for various things and i have never had to clear out my PMs on any of them.

If you donate you get heaps more storage..

I would say do it if you have the time and another car you can use.

And expect it to take quite a few weeks making it work right. And if it works right to start off with, lucky you :( haha.

ya, i have a completely rust free 88 GL Wagon 5 speed FI with a blown motor that i bought for $50 that would be perfect.

That would work well. The fuel pump is adequate for the EJ and the lines are already fuel injection rated.

RUST FREE... ahh gotta love California subarus......:banana:

BW