Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Dampener Info, FI EA82

My 92 loyale (FI EA82) has a small device near the fuel pump. It is small and round. I think it is a fuel pressure dampener. It is leaking fuel and needs to be replaced. Can anyone tell me more about this? Where can I get a new one? Can I just splice the hoses and run w/o it? What may happen if I do? Thanks everybody for whatever you got here.... I have no idea about this little part.

Your mileage may vary, but mine did the same thing four years ago..I just replaced it with a section of high-pressure fuel line. Hasn't seemed to affect performance, drivability, or mileage in any way..these cars are lousy with fuel dampers for some reason, I don't think Sue even noticed that one of 'em was missing.

Really? That blows! Where did you get the pump? New or used? How much was it if new? Gloyale and I think it may run w/o it. I think there is another one under the hood.

I am going to have to just use a doubble ended barb to splice the hoses together. Thinking about it... does the dampener have a rubber diaphram in it or something? Can I just use an oversized coupler w/ reducers to create a "space" in the line... Ahhh, probably not. That space would fill and become useless... Well, it can't be the only application on earth for a fuel pressure dampener...

Yeah, the dampener isn't exactly rocket science..it's just a rubber diaphragm that's open to atmospheric pressure on one side and exposed to fuel pressure on the other..looks sorta like a drum head. It absorbs fuel pump surges to a small extent, I'm of the opinion that Subie put 'em in to try and keep cabin noise from fuel line vibes down more than anything else, 'cuz they sure as heck don't seem to affect performance.

the dampener takes the "Pfft-Pfft-Pfft" pulses of fuel being put out at high speed by your fuel pump and turns them into a smooth "Psshhhhh" flow.

If memory serves, there are two built into the EZ82 SPFI.. but I may be wrong. Most any FI car should have one, and all it has to be is there to work.. Not in that location, nothing. You just have to have one in line before the TB, the earlier the better.

Shouldn't be too difficult to bypass and install an oddball one from the JY.

If memory serves, there are two built into the EZ82 SPFI.. but I may be wrong.

There are a total of three fuel pulsation dampers on an EA82. One right off of the fuel pump, one up in the engine bay between the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator and one on the fuel return line off of the fuel pressure regulator.

I've eliminated both dampers in the engine bay (the one between the filter and regulator and the one on the return line off of the regulator) with absolutely zero side-effects. I'd imagine they were put there more for the general public to keep noises down than for performance reasons.

My opinion, bypass one (or all) as needed. You'll be fine.