Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problem!!!! Spfi Loyale Stalls 4 No Reason!!

Well..it's probably no consolation to you, but I found MY problem. My alternator brushes were so worn that they were only making intermittent contact, thus the weird "surging & jerking & tach jumping around" problems..and I would assume the brushes were arcing to the commutator when I put a big enough load on 'em, hence the problem seeming to be "cured" when I turned on the heater/headlights. Weird.

Anyway, I replaced the alternator with a reman unit today..problem solved, Sue is rock-steady and back to being her usual good-natured, oil-dripping, doom-ticking self.

:headbang:

The alternator really doesn't have any direct connection to the CEL light that I know of. I suggest you check the ignition relay and see if that may have an intermittent problem.

I thought that sounded off, My Loyale runs without the alternator, As long as the battery holds up.

The only thing that I can think of that possibly could connect the alternator with turning on the CEL is if the alternator had some bad diodes or brushes that caused a high amount of noise on the power buss. Then the noise causing a problem with one of the sensor signals.

• 4 months later...

Wow i kinda forgot about this site....i got a new car (93 Mercury Grand Marquis) so I havent really messed with the subaru a whole lot, I towed it to my schools autoshop, but the teacher doesnt know much about electrical, so instead of helping me, he would just give me printouts from mitchell-on-demand on what to do. Now my mom is in need of the car so I finally just said f**k it, and brought it to the shop that my friend works at. I will keep you updated with what the actual problem is once they find it.