Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do I need to adjust my clutch and how?

Tell me if this is a sign of needing to adjust my clutch:

When shifting into 1st and especially into Reverse I have to let out the clutch pedal a little bit in order for it to go into gear. In other words, when I push the pedal all the way down to the floor sometimes it wont engage- I have to let off about and inch or two and the gear drops right in.

There's no detectable "free play" towards the top of the pedal either.

So my other question is, how do I adjust the clutch? I thought it was hydraulic so it didn't need adjustment. I don't have a shop manual yet for this car or else I'd figure it out myself...

Thanks

Oh, 2000 OBW

clutch-2000obw-1.gif

1. Push the release lever to retract the push rod of the operating cylinder and check if the fluid level in the clutch reservoir tank rises or not.
  2. If the fluid level rises, pedal free play is correct.
  3. If the fluid level does not rise, or the push rod cannot be retracted, adjust the clutch pedal.
  4. Inspect the underside of master cylinder, clutch damper and operating cylinder for clutch system, hoses, piping and their couplings for fluid leaks. If fluid leaks are found, correct them by retightening their fitting bolt and/or replacing their parts.
  5. Check the fluid level using the scale on the outside of the clutch master cylinder tank (A). If the level is below "MIN" (B), add clutch fluid to bring it up to "MAX" ©. Recommended clutch fluid: FMVSS No.116, fresh DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid

• Avoid mixing different brakes of brake fluid to prevent degradation of the fluid.
  • Be careful not to allow dirt or dust to get into the reservoir tank.
  • Use FMVSS No.116 fresh DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid when refilling fluid.

Tell me if this is a sign of needing to adjust my clutch:

When shifting into 1st and especially into Reverse I have to let out the clutch pedal a little bit in order for it to go into gear. In other words, when I push the pedal all the way down to the floor sometimes it wont engage- I have to let off about and inch or two and the gear drops right in.

There's no detectable "free play" towards the top of the pedal either.

So my other question is, how do I adjust the clutch? I thought it was hydraulic so it didn't need adjustment. I don't have a shop manual yet for this car or else I'd figure it out myself...

Thanks

Oh, 2000 OBW

That sounds about like every subaru I've ever owned. Actually, difficulty with reveerse has been in every vehicle I've owned that has been a manual. I don't think there is anything wrong with your clutch, just the nature of the cars.

Reverse gears are straight cut gears, and they dont have synchros on them. This is done for a variety of reasons, but it makes it tough to shift into reverse while going forward.

It is normal to use a little more force, get a thunk, or sometimes a slight gear grind on occasion going into reverse.

nipper