Ultimate Subaru Message Board

noisy powersteering pump

hey all,

my Girfriends power steering pump is sounding like a fords power steering pump. wining and such when you move the wheel. she is driving a toyota tercel 95. I looked at the resevoir and the oil was full of air bubbles.

is this an issue of over filling? I though perhaps it was low but it doesn't seem to be. if the pump is going does it start to make noise and is that a diffinite diagonsis.

I was thinking of just replacing the oil to be sure that wasn't the issue. it looked old.

any other ideas?

thanks

just so youknow I drive 87 gl 4wd and I am proud!

I looked at the reservoir and the oil was full of air bubbles

Ok so what you are hearing is the Power steering (hydraulic) pump trying to pump air.

!) check rack return line for leaks (the return line is the line without pressure fittings) and repair if necessary.

2) the next un-happy event concerns the pump, there should be a screen there somewhere that can be cleaned, but usually air gets in the system around the shaft seal, meaning seal, and, or, bearing, probably easier (and cheaper) to put a junk yard pump on it.

Pay close attention to any oil removed from the system (ie: put it in a glass jar) for metal particles. ANY metal in the oil, and unless you are replacing EVERYTHING, there is a very good chance you are just wasting your time.

Also, Noisy "Like Fords" (as you said) Power Steerin´ pumps can be due to its normal Wear, increased by the use of ATF oils in ´em in some cases...

I Suggest you to try a Simple way to decrease the Noise and improve the unit´s performance: Remove all the old oil, and Change it with Power Steerin´ Fluid, but not the usual, the one that says "With Sealer Additives" or somethin´ like That.

It did work fine in my White Wagon.

Good Luck! :burnout: