Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej to ea, gen1 swap. questions!

Zefy

alright got a few questions for all of you.

first off the rad hosing. now i know the standard is to use some sort of adaptor to get your hose from 1-1/8 to 1-1/4. i got that covered. the issue is the bottom port on the rad sits a whopping 1/2-3/4" from the timing belt cover...

i alread got a couple of ideas to fix this. key being cheap. but not so cheap it doesn't work...:rolleyes: wanted some opinions.

second. wiring the alt. i'm going from a external reg alt to an internal reg one. i got the connector going off the alt plus the big power lead. big one goes to bat obviously. what about the connector though?

thanks for the help!

Greg,

since nobody is jumping in on this i thought i'd tell you how i solved it incase anybody else runs into this problem...

not sure if it's completely solved yet, but i ended up moving the two mounting pegs 2 inches to the driverside and about 1/2-3/4" towards the grill. this gave me an ok amount of clearance. i think with the right pipe it will fit fine.

with that problem solved i had to move the top mounting bolts.

my fan no longer fit quite like it did when i first bought it. i had to move bend the centre rad support slightly for it to clear and also take a chunk out of my headlight housing. now it seems to all fit!

TTIWWOP!:grin:

Show us some pics mang! I wanna see this:banana:

haha you're gonna laugh at me. my swap is kinda ghetto... engine looks like ************, but assuming i rebuilt it right, it should run like a champ!

i could write a novel about all the different stuff going into this brat but i'm far to lazy to type it all out.

things of note:

5 lug 2 pot 2.5RS brakes with hotbits rally coilovers

IMGP2468.jpg

IMGP2537.jpg

CAMBER!!!

IMGP2802.jpg

ENGINE!!!

IMGP3017.jpg

rad clearance issue i've been complaining about... think it'll work like this?

IMGP3019.jpg

engine and trans together via mudrat adaptor plate

IMGP3022.jpg

whole build here: http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Zefy_88/brat/

i will be making a full build up thread once i'm done... trying to kinda keep this on the down low.:-p

• 4 months later...

it took a little bit of playing but i actually got it to work with the way it is in the pic.

IMGP3030.jpg

IMGP3037.jpg

if this doesn't work out i'll bring it to a rad shop to get worked on...

thanks for reviving my thread folks!:cool:

Zefy... if I recall those two wires are for the oil pressure light and the water temp light.

Rad hose looks good. What kind of pipe do you have between them? I would reccomend copper, as it will last the best, and won't potentially release stuff into your cooling system.

And lastly... do you think we'll see this at WCSS X?

This is a write up i did for putting any subaru alt into any model.

http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4260

Will

that writeup is good thanks!

the main difference between that and my old gen1 is the regulators on those alternators are internal. mine is external and so there are a lot wires on this beast... they changed this with the introduction of the ea81.

however i believe i've semi sorted the problem out.

thanks!

Zefy... if I recall those two wires are for the oil pressure light and the water temp light.

Rad hose looks good. What kind of pipe do you have between them? I would reccomend copper, as it will last the best, and won't potentially release stuff into your cooling system.

And lastly... do you think we'll see this at WCSS X?

thanks for the wiring help! that makes sence now... :)

my tentative date to have it running is mid february for iceX. this date, like all the others, will probably not be accomplished.

the key components that i need to complete it are very close to being mine. then i just need to suck it up and work in the cold...:rolleyes:

however if it isn't ready for wcss10 then somebody kick me...:-p

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not going to post anything about the rear suspension until it is complete... don't want to give people false hope!:rolleyes:

so to fit the fronts i got in touch with crossbread performance and got a set of their front control arms... i then had to move the stabalizer bar from the gen1 control arm onto the new one.

something like such:

IMGP2508.jpg

then i installed them. you will also need lengthen the tie rods... haven't put to much thought into this... solutions are to sleave the old ones to make them longer or use newer gen longer tie rods...

drill the strut top or get these wacky adaptor kits from crossbread performance and use your stock strut top... i opted for going with pillowball top mounts so using the stock mounting points won't work... strengthen the strut tower and drill new holes to suit the 2.5rs strut. which is the next problem... 2.5rs struts (or springs rather) are to wide to fit in the tiny towers... coilover type springs solves this problem... there are cheap ways to fix this (ground control style coilovers) and there is expencive coilovers. i opted for full rally grade hotbits coilovers... (using these coilovers is backfiring on me right now but hopefully i'll find a solution...)

then you need to get shortened axles (different inner cups depending on the transmission being used) which i got from rguyver on the board here...

stock 2.5rs axle compared to my custom super duper axle...

IMGP3248.jpg

does anybody have any pictures of the rear disc brake swap goes onto the gen1?

i already did the 4 lug rear disc swap but from what i saw with the xt6 stuff is you have to swap the trailing arms aswell which are not the same..

also with doing this swap i don't think i'll be able to fit big enough tires for my application... a solution needs to be found! mine is quite complicated and annoying however if it works it'll be kickin... if i can just swap some xt6 stuff on it would save me time and money however i would need smaller tires...

anybody have a solution for this that i may have not thought of?

• 2 years later...

ummmm sort of... I kinda stopped updating it a while back. the build is still going on. VERY SLOWLY...

it now lacks the simplicity that i first set out with.

tee hee...:rolleyes:

IMGP0019-1.jpg

here is a link to my photobucket with pretty much all the pictures of the work i've done up till the middle of last year or so. There is also some throttle body stuff in there as well but that's a little bit if a different project.

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o95/Zefy_88/brat/?start=260

i am now working full time again making the moneyz. so I just had my rear drive shaft made. Should be ready on tuesday because monday is a holiday!!! WOOO...

So many little things to do. Today i spent my time with weather stripping, rebuilding the wiper motor, and installing some body panels. My maf sensor appears to be bad so i can't start the engine. Fuel system needs some work as i think it leaks a bit. Also i'm not supposed to run fuel with ethanol in it with the fuel cell and walbro... :eek:

so much to do, wcss is around the corner just waiting for my to fail! :lol: