Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 legacy w/ outback struts and 17" wheels

yesterday we, thats 91Loyale and me, put it struts from an outback (picked them up at a junk yard --> trade them in for four mazda rims :banana: ) in my wagon, cuz on stock struts the rear tire was rubbin on the inside, weels are ROTA rims 17"x7" ET 45, and tires are YOKOHAMA 235/45 R 17 :) we made a run to get lug nuts, went to like 6 auto-parts stores :-\ but got them :) then we wnt for a test drive, the car sticks to the road as hell :headbang:

i want to thank 91Loyale for his time and efourt and use of his garadge ;)

p8296234ka1.th.jpg p8296235xt3.th.jpg p8296240rq3.th.jpg p8296236qm2.th.jpg p8296237cv3.th.jpg p8296238nh7.th.jpg p8296239gi6.th.jpg

I'll be doing the allignment next week down at school. The car really handles good. I was worried that the caster might be afected by running the longer struts, but the steering wheel returns on it's own quick after throwing the car around.

With the big tires the car holds hard corners a lot better, though you can still get it to understeer if you're laying into it.

We got lucky with the used struts, they're in pretty good shape. The gas has escaped, but the damping action is still strong. The price was unbeatable too, direct trade for some used aluminum wheels.

The main reason for the outback struts was the higher spring seat. The stock legacy spring seat rubbed on the inside edge of the tires in the back, so to run those rims without spacers it had to be lifted. It's not going offroad with those 45 series tires on. With the stock tires back on, it will have gained a couple inches of ground clearance in the center.

That clearance looks like it's ready for some off road fun!

I still have the original shocks on my wagon with my 17" wheels/tires and I thought I should lower it another 1" to make it look proper.

no off roading with those rims :cool: how wide are your rims and tires ??

I really want to know. Not trying to be a wise guy.

What's the point, except esthetics, of having big wheels and small (thin) tires?

Formula 1 cars dont have them, Nascar cars dont have them and rally cars dont use them.

Dont flame me, I just want to understand.

Thanks in advance.

What's the point, except esthetics, of having big wheels and small (thin) tires?

Formula 1 cars dont have them, Nascar cars dont have them and rally cars dont use them.

Thanks in advance.

It's a race to who gets the biggest rim! Sure you can have 21's on your car - if you want rubber bands for tires.

Thanks in advance.

Less sidewall flex. To be honest I wouldn't really call that low profile what that dude has on his car.

Thanks in advance.

thin tire is safer then regular tire (high profile),more steady on curves, and when it blows up its easier to handle the car, you can go faster on those preforance tires ( speed raiting H= 210km/h), big rims look nice, they get more air to cool off the brakes, and rally cars do have wheels like that- on street sectionssubaruimprezawrc1nd6.th.jpg

no off roading with those rims :cool: how wide are your rims and tires ??

I went with the size that Tire Rack recommended for my wheels, 205/45-17. The salesperson called me to let me know that it was a very aggressive fitment and I may have to roll my fenders so that they won't rub on cornering, they wouldn't ship me the tire package before informing me of this and getting my approval. I've cornered really hard with no troubles, but I would still like to add a thicker/stiffer anti-sway bar to the car.

http://www.villagephotos.com/viewpubimage.asp?id_=20604876&selected=

I went with the size that Tire Rack recommended for my wheels, 205/45-17. =

if my tires were lets say 215/45 or 225/45 they would fit on original struts, but the 235's are to wide. and if i would to lower the suspension they will be rubbing on the outside cause they are flush with the car, the front ones are even stickin out a bit.

thin tire is safer then regular tire (high profile),more steady on curves, and when it blows up its easier to handle the car, you can go faster on those preforance tires ( speed raiting H= 210km/h), big rims look nice, they get more air to cool off the brakes, and rally cars do have wheels like that- on street sectionssubaruimprezawrc1nd6.th.jpg

Don't forget about weight, all of those benifits will be worth less if the wheel weight increases abunch. Alot of racing classes have rim/tire sizes limited.

Don't forget about weight, all of those benifits will be worth less if the wheel weight increases abunch. Alot of racing classes have rim/tire sizes limited.

yeah, but rally cars and GT2, GT3 they use magnesium rims, and they weight as much as air. anyway my point is to fit bigger brakes, cause belive it or not my wagon is towing trailers with bikes all over east coast, and i need more stopping power with 2000lbs extra:)