Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Loyale quit running

It sounds like maybe you bought this car that I though about getting:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=78565

Hey I got my first subaru, a 94 loyale wagon, about a week and a half ago and it has been running well. Today I was idling at a stop light and it started making a grinding noise, the check engine light came on, and then it quit. It would not start back up, it turns over and sometimes sounds like it might start but doesn't.

Do you think this could be the distributor or a timing belt breaking or something else? The PO said he did the timing belts 10k mi ago. Thank you for your help.

Anders

The idler bearing is pretty easy to replace. It's a standard size. You can take the whole idler to NAPA and they'll help you out, may even put the new bearing in for you.

Or take a socket or something the right size and knock the bearing out of the center. You'll see the number on it. It'll be 6200 series (I think it's 6203) Go to NAPA or a bearing house (even my local ACE carries this size bearing) and get a high quality sealed bearing with that number.

Gently tap the new bearing in and you're ready to go. $10 - 15 bucks for the bearing, 20 minutes to remove and install.

ok i bought a bearing from napa and pressed it on today. I pressed it to the mark where the last bearing was. I reinstalled the idler and when tightened it will not move because the plastic cover behind it is against the sprocket. There are marks indicating the last sprocket was spinning against it also. Has anyone run into this problem?

ok i bought a bearing from napa and pressed it on today. I pressed it to the mark where the last bearing was. I reinstalled the idler and when tightened it will not move because the plastic cover behind it is against the sprocket. There are marks indicating the last sprocket was spinning against it also. Has anyone run into this problem?

Does you're cover still have it's rubber gaskets? Is the cover warped? If you have to (or want to) you can run it with no T-belt covers. Many many people do it. I don't, but I spend too much time in deep snow and mud, and I just hate taking off stuff that was meant to be there. But in a case like this, if you can't find a new cover, you can go no cover if you have to.