Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch cable maxed

'81 wagoon, 1.8 4wd. I just put a new clutch cable in. In order to get resistance on the pedal, I had to turn the adjusting nut all the way. Old cable was the same. What's funky here? There is no more room for adjustment tighter? Fork looks fine and moves. Thingy (mount) that holds the fork also looks fine as in not bent.

Oooh almost forgot. on the shifter rod, the books shows there is supposed to be a rubber bushing, dust boot and clip. Mine had none. I put a little rubber grommet over the stub. Seemed to tighten up the slop. Do I really need those parts?

well, I don't know about your 81, but the replacement clutch cable for my Loyale did the same thing; apparently just built incorrectly. Probably would have been better to go with OEM.

I had to add several washers in front of the adjusting nut before I could get the pedal working right.

Not much help on your second question, but I think you kind of answered it yourself. If you can live with the slop, then you're ok now, but if you want it to be tighter, go down to the Subaru dealer and get replacement parts.

If your at the end of your adjustment on the old and new cable, and everything else is fine, I would think that maybe your clutch components are worn out. More than likely the friction disk. Also, the fingers on the pressure plate are week. Is your clutch slipping?

SOunds like you either need a clutch or a cable.

Whne was the last time the clutch was replaced? The cables dont last for ever, but if its a cable, the pedal would also be getting hard to press. AFter having a cable snap on me 3 months after a new clutch, I tend to replace the cable at the same time if the clutch has voer 100,000 miles on it.

I'ld bet your clutch is getting tired.

nipper

PEDAL SUPPORT ASSEMBLY! Check out my photos. If your support looks like the one on the right, you need to replace it with the one on the left.

Do a search for this, you will turn up my old thread on my 81 Hatch. It's a known weak part, the symptoms are exactly how you describe, and it's not a hard fix.

Ahh. O.k. then . thanks for the responses. I haven't gotten the thing to roll yet. The dude who sold it to me knew nothing except clutch problem/ it wouldn't go into gear with the engine running but would with it off. I replaced the cable thinking start with the cheaper thing first. Also, didn't know how long old the one in there was. Since I haven't fired it up for a bit, had to jump batt. Now the friggin thing won't get gas to the carb :mad:

Guess its back to the air compressor to the line again. I do have a new clutch kit on hand but was hoping that wasn't it.

Stopped by the dealer and ordered the three parts at bottom. Clip, bushing and boot. Had to double check on the dust boot. Computer brings it up as tie rod boot. Weird. Total cost shipped was about 16.00. Hey, just thinking, how does the shifter shaft go into the other (not chromed) part? It will spin so I'm wondering if it is threaded. maybe can find somewhat shorter shaft.

Holy Crappin Ole!

I decided to blow out the line again to get some gas to the carb. I picked up the hose that goes to the 2nd fuel filter. Insert the tip of air compressor and gave her a blast. Bang!!!!! I mean a loud bang. Apparenlty the thing was stuck pretty good as I blew the fuel filter apart:eek:

I didn't check to see how much pressure there was. It snapped back together just fine. Turkey baster (again) and squirted the line. It took right off. Checked the shifting...Nope :mad: Grinding and won't go in. Guess I will have to put in the clutch kit.

PEDAL SUPPORT ASSEMBLY! Check out my photos. If your support looks like the one on the right, you need to replace it with the one on the left.

Do a search for this, you will turn up my old thread on my 81 Hatch. It's a known weak part, the symptoms are exactly how you describe, and it's not a hard fix.

hey Mon. Appreciate it. Does it have to be specifically an 83 or are there other years that work too?