Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy OBW auto trany question..........

My 99 OBW with auto trany hesitates to engage in "Drive" to go forward after reversing to a stop. Gently hit the gas, the engine revs, then the trany kinda slams into the forward gear to move the car forward. This doesn't happen all the time, but enough that it is annoying. I have read posts here that the 99 and 00 models are known for doing this. I changed the ATF twice thinking this may cure the problem. It has helped some, but not cured it. What causes this? Will adding a trany additive from Lucas, or another manufacturer help? Other then this problem, the auto trany works fine. I checked old posts in the "search" area, but could not find any help.

My 99 OBW with auto trany hesitates to engage in "Drive" to go forward after reversing to a stop. Gently hit the gas, the engine revs, then the trany kinda slams into the forward gear to move the car forward. This doesn't happen all the time, but enough that it is annoying. I have read posts here that the 99 and 00 models are known for doing this. I changed the ATF twice thinking this may cure the problem. It has helped some, but not cured it. What causes this? Will adding a trany additive from Lucas, or another manufacturer help? Other then this problem, the auto trany works fine. I checked old posts in the "search" area, but could not find any help.

It seems like there is a weak/bad checkvalve in the system. Wait for the tranny to build pressure up. Having the car slam in gear will dramatically shortne its life.

The usual reasons for a delayed engagement is usually a bad front pump or seals. Those two would get worse with time. This issue that subaru has doesnt seem to get worse, so most people live with it.

nipper

R2:

My '95 does that as well. It usually occurs when I'm in a hurry and just jam on the gas after backing up. I've found that waiting a second or two before givin' it the gas eliminates the problem.

Steve

Thanks for the advise. I think I will drain some trany fluid, and add some Lucas ATF additive. I have used this product in the past in an Audi that leaked ATF. It helped stem the leak, and the trany did seem to shift more smoothly. The Lucas product looks like ATF colored STP. It is really viscous. Maybe the added viscousity will help with the shifting to drive from reverse.