Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'91 4EAT cold trans 1st gear question

If the transmission is overnight cold, transmission won't shift to second gear until 1-2 minutes of driving. Valve body rebuilt 6 months ago.

If I push the "manual" button and downshift to 3rd, trans starts in 1st, then shifts to 2nd and 3rd gear no problem. When trans begins to lock out 1st gear after stopping, I turn off "manual" button, upshift to 4th and everything's fine.

Any Ideas? Is my VSS showing its age? 180K on the clock. Is it the TCU? Local mechanic (Strictly for Denver drivers) has pulled VSS codes for both front and back and recently cleared them (one month ago).

Is it doing this in the summer, or in general. This is normal on all cars that have computer controlled transmissions. This helps the engine warm up faster. My car does it for a short time in the morning in summer.

Why did you get the valve body rebuilt?

nipper

Is it doing this in the summer, or in general. This is normal on all cars that have computer controlled transmissions. This helps the engine warm up faster. My car does it for a short time in the morning in summer.

Why did you get the valve body rebuilt?

nipper

Valve body was rebuilt because of a double-shift stumble in second and this new shifting problem started about 3 months ago. The transmission will eventually shift if the RPM's get up around 4000 and then it shifts abruptly until things warm up.

The cold shifting is somewhat normal. What are the temps like in Denver?

Lately, the overnight temp has dropped into the 60's.

Maybe I'm not describing the problem accurately. I've had the car for about 2 years and this is the first time this has happened.