Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help troubleshooting intermitant A/C issue

Hi.

2002 LL Bean (i.e. fancy climate control)

The A/C will work intermittently. Start the car and turn on the A/C and sometimes it will blow cold, other times it will not.

If the A/C is not working, turning it on/off will not get it to work. Turning the car off and restarting MAY get the A/C working again.

The charge seems sufficient to trip the pressure switch. I was only able to check it with one of the cheesy 134 refill can gauges, but it was on the high end of the scale. Its under extended warranty and the dealer verified a proper charge, but of course couldn't replicate the problem. The compressor seems to be engaged when the system is turned on... regardless if its blowing cold.

Pulling the wires to the pressure switch causes the compressor to disengage blowing cold or not. How do I properly test the switch... 4 wires confuse me... :)

At this point, I'm looking for help in how to diagnose it further. i.e. a way to test the switch, clutch, or any other possibilities.

Thanks

Bernie

Have you checked to see if this problem is caused by the vent doors having a problem?

Good point. This would align with the system being 'on', but still blowing warm air.

One thing I realized I didn't check was the a/c hose temps when 'on', but blowing warm. that would indicate that i was making cold air, but mixing in warm.

Admittedly, this is a stinker to diagnose since it doesn't seem to want to act up when I want to work on it. I do suspect that there is a clue in that it will only 'fix itself' with the car being shut off/on rather than just cycling the a/c system off/on.

Not to be rude-but since it is under xted warranty why are you messing with this?The service facility has an obligation to diagnose the problem under varying conditions if they choose to accept warranty work,don't allow them to

keep bringing you back for the 25.00 shop fee each time,they are also billing your extended warranty company each time.If you need to leave the car over night then figure a way to do that.

Not to be rude-but since it is under xted warranty why are you messing with this?The service facility has an obligation to diagnose the problem under varying conditions if they choose to accept warranty work,don't allow them to

keep bringing you back for the 25.00 shop fee each time,they are also billing your extended warranty company each time.If you need to leave the car over night then figure a way to do that.

Not a rude question at all.

Its been in twice for this issue and both times it 'could not be replicated'. For me, its a question of whats easier? Bring it to the shop, wait in line, maybe get a loaner, swap out the carseats, couple calls back and forth, go pick it up, argue with service manager, etc.

or

Take a shot at fixing it myself. I like working on cars and I dont mind trying to tackle it. If it starts to fail more regularly, I'd definately take it back in.