Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GSR Questions and Info

Ok, So as some of you will have seen in the thread started by Cubastreet (Thank you man!), I aquired a '73 GSR coupe for a steal.

I'm now going about getting it back up and running road worthy.

In brief, brakes need overhaul, small bit of welding needs doing, a throw out bearing I suspect and not too much else at this point hopefully.

I've found I can get reseal kits for the M/C, front calipers, and drum slave cylinders ok, But I have a feeling the booster is shot to say the least, this is on top of the list of things to do, but I have a feeling it cannot be serviced AT ALL, would I be right?

I can't find one at any of the usual retailers in my area (and beyond),

What other models may have booster than are similar? '81 Brat perhaps? I've got a spare one of those and they look a little similar but I havn't had either apart yet.

Mostly, I'd like to know as much as anyone knows about GSR's and the early 1400's in general, and what parts can be substituted?

Thanks in advance --- John

There are folks that fix power boosters (re-build), I'm warning you, they are few, and far between.

Ask around, the only one I know of is in Canada, 1200 miles from where I live, and probably wouldn't do you much good.

BTW: putting re-seal kits in aluminum wheel cylinders is questionable at best, make sure you have iron ones to re-build, or by new iron ones.

BTW: putting re-seal kits in aluminum wheel cylinders is questionable at best, make sure you have iron ones to re-build, or by new iron ones.

i got genuian subaru 1400s ones from my brake place and it was an good price too. and the master cylinder was an good price. i wana know about the booster replacement or repuild coz i wana fit 1 2 my coupe and i think it would need to be replaced

• 5 months later...

Just an FYI, I ended up going with a the booster and MC out of an '81 Brat, Master cylinder looks identical and the booster is nearly double the size(good right?).

Appears to work fine (once you adjust the pedal high correctly:rolleyes:).

Also, I am going to attempt to drive the GSR to work tomorrow for its WOF (warrent of fitness).

I hope it gets there as I have one or two doubts about the fuel system...

It will fail at this point, but I can't find much to fault it on, apart from the hole in the floor, one tie-rod end with a little play, and perhaps a few bulbs out.

I'm so excited, wish me luck!

Also also, current view from bedroom.

UNI_0388.jpg

:)

• 2 weeks later...

ok, There was a small amount of rust in the floor (read-hole), But I have a friend who is a panel beater and is going to help take care of that, it needs two new rack ends, a new muffler (will probably just do the whole system), some lights fixed and thats it. Then it should be easy to get legal on NZ roads. :)

Getting rack ends might prove difficult, any ideas if '81 Brats are likey to have the same ones?

Hi James long time since we talk. I got a new booster for my GSR no problem. I also got new rack ends as well. You shouldn't have any worries getting them from your local subie dealer. Or Repco. They are the same as the 1600 models. Your GSR is looking really good. Must meet one day in Dunedin(halfway)and get some photo's of our cars together. You have a DL1400 as well don't you. I am about to start restoring mine. When I get it finished it would look awesome to have both GSR's and DL's together.

A side note I will be doing the clutch aswell, as it doesn't have much *bite* so to speak, and the release bearings and whatnot are very noisey.

Perhaps CV joints if I can find a source in NZ :dead:

But a result I am very happy with.

Hi James long time since we talk. I got a new booster for my GSR no problem. I also got new rack ends as well. You shouldn't have any worries getting them from your local subie dealer. Or Repco. They are the same as the 1600 models. Your GSR is looking really good. Must meet one day in Dunedin(halfway)and get some photo's of our cars together. You have a DL1400 as well don't you. I am about to start restoring mine. When I get it finished it would look awesome to have both GSR's and DL's together.

lol hey man thats not me lol, thats waimaks hes up in north island. i havnt got my GL1400 on the road and still havnt found an gsr yet... im still looking.

im cutting up my 2 of my parts cars at the monent to make room

oops I said it had been along time, Getting mixed up. Oh well how about Wellington one day. A bit further for me but its been along time since I was in the North Island. Anyway the car still looks awesome and hope to have mine parked beside it oneday.I wiiltry and not get you two mixed up again.

Yes Dunedin is a little more than half way for me :-p

Perhaps Wellington would be more suitable.