Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking 4 Tranny

i have a 85 SUBARU GL 4x4 WAGON i need a 4 speed a/t trans i live in the Riverside,CA area i have a 3 speed that SUCKS and now its leakind trans fluid into my trans axle please help or call 951-929-5824 or any subie clubs in the area to

You can't use the 4 speed on an 85. It's electronically controlled and requires interface with a fuel injected engine. Swap it over to a manual - it's pretty easy on the EA82's.

GD

You can't use the 4 speed on an 85. It's electronically controlled and requires interface with a fuel injected engine. Swap it over to a manual - it's pretty easy on the EA82's.

GD

Isnt the tunnel too small as well?? I thought they made the tunnel larger on the 88+ cars specifically to accept the 4EAT..

well 4 now i'm having the seal fixxed cuz at fluid was getting into my trans axle a shop is doing it for 350 and i gave him 2 new cv axles cuz the old ones were blown out . how do i check my too hot a/t sencer if it works or not .

what do i need 2 do to raise my car i want to put a 5 speed trans so what do i need 2 look for so i can start looking

THANK YOU

SOUTHERN CALI

Second the 5 on the floor. You'll be happier with the performance AND get better mpg than with the crappy 3 speed a/t.

PS. Just for fun, do a search on the list for 3 speed automatic and crappy 3 speed and see how many hits you'll get - this will let you know what the general consensus is on that tranny.:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I personally can't see replacing a 4wd A/T with another A/T. The 2wd AT versions...maybe...

If you plan the job accordingly, and have all the parts on hand, installing the manual will take you only slightly longer than an A/T swap. By "slightly", I'm talking 1-2 extra days or so.

While many combinations are possible, the easiest solution is always to match your replacement 5 speed to the existing rear diff. If you happen to have the 3.9 version of the 4wd A/T, you'll obviously want to go D/R. However, I believe only the newer models (and not all of them) came with the 3.9.

If it's 3.7, don't automatically rule out the S/R 5 in favor of another A/T. These really aren't too bad once you get the hang of them. I would take the lowly 3.7 S/R over the 3AT any day!!

good luck, John

Yeah, I personally can't see replacing a 4wd A/T with another A/T. The 2wd AT versions...maybe...

If you plan the job accordingly, and have all the parts on hand, installing the manual will take you only slightly longer than an A/T swap. By "slightly", I'm talking 1-2 extra days or so.

While many combinations are possible, the easiest solution is always to match your replacement 5 speed to the existing rear diff. If you happen to have the 3.9 version of the 4wd A/T, you'll obviously want to go D/R. However, I believe only the newer models (and not all of them) came with the 3.9.

If it's 3.7, don't automatically rule out the S/R 5 in favor of another A/T. These really aren't too bad once you get the hang of them. I would take the lowly 3.7 S/R over the 3AT any day!!

good luck, John

What kind of godawful gas mileage does a 3AT 4WD get, anyhow??? ugh, all that needless weight being slung around..

automatic transmissions make me sick.

What kind of god awful gas mileage does a 3AT 4WD get, anyhow??? ugh, all that needless weight being slung around..

automatic transmissions make me sick.

On Murphy, the $500 87 T-Wag, I was getting about 18 to 19 mpg city... AND highway, if I didn't floor it!!! :dead:

No doubt, the 4wd's are complete dogs...avoid them at all costs...

But the 2wd A/T's are suprisingly peppy. Every one I've ever driven felt sportier than they should have. :confused:

The reduced weight of the FWD is an advantage in this regard.

John

you say surprisingly peppy.. I STILL say its a wanton waste of wattage. I scoot around quick enough, but JUST barely. Traffic down here, between the various cultural groups who learned driving in their respective native countries, aged new yorkers, younger new yorkers, ditzy airheads of either gender, and the angst that whips up in the hearts of otherwise tolerable drivers, dictates a "passive aggressive" mode of defensive driving if I am EVER to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time. Its not that I try to pull ahead of the pack JUST to do my extra five over the limit.. its the difference made with rapid acceleration and most importantly, the difference made in ever 30-120 second redlight cycle, that is crucial.

Techniques you learn driving pizzas.. priceless.